58: I Call It The Broken Wife

Start from the beginning

"It's so sad." Ziora gave a heavy sigh. "Martini anyone?" She suggested and we all nodded in agreement.

We walked over to the open bar and grabbed a few drinks before returning to our designated seats.

The event had been going pretty smoothly and there had been quite a number of famous and successful people in attendance inclusive of famous fashion bloggers and social media influencers. There had also been a camera crew to film and photograph the occasion. 

Ruby was called to the stage for the vote of thanks as the party was coming to an end and the crowd applauded as she went onto the stage.

"Thank you all for being here. It really means a lot to me." Ruby started. "I have been working on this for years and I am grateful to finally be revealing Dreamy to the world. All this wouldn't have been possible without my supporters, my well wishers and most importantly, my partner."

Ruby paused for a moment as she gestured in the direction of the VIP area at the far front of the hall. I couldn't quite see who she was gesturing at as she had her back to me. All I could see was long, straight dark brown hair.

"Please can we give a round of applause as we call onto the stage, the other brain behind Dreamy, Candice Woods!" Ruby announced and I froze. I watched in utter shock as Derrek's ex-fiancée walked onto the stage and gave Ruby a hug.

I had partially heard a woman talk about the anonymous partner behind Dreamy earlier on while we were at the perfume stand, checking out Ruby's perfumes. She had been rumored to be famous and she had been anonymous until today. I hadn't seen her yet cause I didn't have any interest in knowing who Ruby had partnered up with, so, I was very surprised to find out it was Candice.

"What in the hell is going on?" Naborhi was the first to speak.

"Ruby and Candice know each other? This can't be a coincidence." Tosin added and I scoffed, shaking my head.

"Why the hell not?" I watched as Candice gave a speech. I suddenly got the feeling that something bad was about to happen. This could not have been a coincidence. How long had Ruby and Candice known each other? Did they have something big planned? Was that why Ruby had invited me here?

I took in a deep breath to calm myself. There was no point in getting worked up over this. Whatever my cousin and Candice had to throw at me, I could handle it and I had my friends here with me as well. I wasn't alone.

"Do you want to leave?" Ziora who was seated to my right, turned to me and I shook my head. I wasn't going to let those girls get to me.

I watched as Ruby and Candice embraced each other and exchanged a few words while smiling the entire time. They posed for a couple of photos before Ruby went on to speak once again.

"Lastly, I would like to call up my cousin to the stage." Ruby said and I froze. "Tiara, I know I said I would keep you anonymous but you have made a huge contribution towards this project and I would like to appreciate you." She gestured towards me and the crowd turned back, trying to find who Ruby was calling out to.

"What is she talking about?" Naborhi turned to me and I kept a straight face as Ruby glanced right at me.

"I don't know. I never made any contributions." I told the girls.

"Don't be shy, Tiara. Come on." Ruby called out once more. "Can we give her a round of applause, please?"

I proceeded to get up to my feet and Ziora stopped me.

"Don't go! It's a trap!" She warned and I nodded.

"I know it is but I can't decline her invite with all these people watching." I told her and she hesitantly let me go.