Chapter 30 - Our Secret

Start from the beginning

"I was looking for you." She smiled at the man. 

For Hanma, he had always thought that Aoi was an interesting girl. Maybe it was the fact that he saw her smoking when she looked to be so innocent, and the way she was so feisty even threatening to kill him. 

How could she still be radiating innocence when she just mercilessly zapped someone? He couldn't quite wrap his head around it. In a world full of delinquents, you're either one of them or not a part of it. You're either evil or good. It's supposed to be black or white. But why was it that she seemed so grey.. 

"W-What- His words came out with a stutter, even surprising himself. He was about to continue when Aoi shushed him.

"I realised something. All this time, I was really rude to you every time we met.. I'd like to apologise for it. Maybe it was just me being in denial, y'know? I think I really like you Hanma." Aoi says with sincerity laced in her voice.

But only she knew that her words had zero truth in them. 

Hanma found Aoi interesting, nothing more, nothing less. Just pure interest out of seeing her contradictory personality. But why was it that his breath hitched when he heard those words coming from her mouth. He couldn't understand it himself. The weird palpitations of his heart.. it was almost as if he was happy to hear her confession.. 

'But how is that possible?' Hanma thought to himself, trying to take deep breaths to settle down the fastening pace of his heartbeat. 

He was about to say something but then he met eyes with the girl in front of him. He saw her smile suddenly drop as she broke away the contact of his face and her hands. 

"Aahh~ I really can't do this!" Aoi stretched her arms out, sighing in a defeated voice. 

"What do you mean?" Hanma looks at the girl in a confused way. 

"I'm sorry, you must've seen through my lie already, right?" She gives a lazy grin. 

Hanma lets out a slight chuckle. Not because it was funny, but because he found this situation ridiculous. He was dumbfounded at the fact that the girl lied to him, but even more so when he felt his heart flutter previously. Why was he feeling so disappointed right now? He couldn't possibly love her for real, right? It was a joke when he said it was love at first sight to her. 

"I'll be honest with you." Aoi says, causing him to stop his thoughts and stare into her eyes. 

"I want to use you."

Finally regaining his composure, he processes what Aoi just said to him. This time he laughs for real. "Use me?" He questions. 

"I want you to be on my side and betray Kisaki." She says in a straightforward way, not a hint of faltering in her voice. 

"And why would I do that~" Hanma begins with his usual teasing tone. 

"Because you like interesting things. And right now, you find me interesting, don't you?"