Chapter 9 - For A Friend

October 15th, 2005

 I've decided to carry around Peyoung Yakisoba with me all the time so that if I see Baji again, I'll have an excuse to talk to him. I wasn't using my brain yesterday and was acting solely based on emotions. I sigh, remembering my stupid effort to stop Baji yesterday evening. 

'I really don't want him to die.'  I think to myself while he starts taking his leave. 'I need to stop him. What do I do?' I start panicking when I speak out the first words that come to my mind.

"Baji-san!" I say to the figure walking away from me. 

"Huh?!" He turns around looking shocked. "Oi, how'd you know my name?" 

'There's no going back now.'  I think. "Uhmm.. because I like you!" I answer, only thinking of the character that died later on.

"You're meeting me for the first time brat."  

"I really respect you as a person, Baji-san. I know you don't know me but I've always looked at you from afar- 

"Shut up kid. You don't know shit." He cuts me off as he tries to leave again.

"I know... I know that I don't know anything but your friends are different! Please don't take on the burden of facing everything alone and rely on your friends..." I say, while he looks at me visibly shocked at my words. Words that sounded as if a random stranger knew everything about his life. 

"I'll leave now! Until next time." I hurriedly bow and leave a confused looking Baji at the convenience store.

________________

'Great going Aoi, very great. Now he probably thinks you're some sort of stalker.'  I once again sigh at myself. 

But I really do want to stop Baji's death. There are still 6 days left till I can talk to Takemicchi about Baji, till then I'll have to do something by myself. Try to stop him from going to Valhalla alone... 'I'll have to actively search for him and talk to him again.'

Perhaps tired of listening to my ever so increasing sighs, an annoyed/ confused looking Sakura stands in front of me.

"Aoi, the lunch break's almost over and you've already been sighing for like 10 times already!" Sakura scolds. "Tell me honestly, is there anything wrong?"

"No, it's noth-

"Don't even lie Aoi! I've known you since we were five. I can read through your lies with complete ease." She says to me, looking disappointed.

I feel a pang of guilt. Ever since I've become introduced to the Toman members, I've been spending less time with my best friend. 

'I'm such a hypocrite. Here I am, telling Baji to rely on his friends when I'm here doing the exact opposite of my advice with Sakura.'

But I can't tell her about Toman... I don't want her to get involved with gangs. If one encounter with Hanma, turned my future into siding with him, I don't want anything bad happening to Sakura. At least I know what's going on.. but an innocent bystander like Sakura does not deserve the hardships that will follow if she becomes connected to the gangs of Shibuya. 

I want my first friend to be happy forever...

I pull Sakura into a hug. "I'm sorry for lying Sakura." I say, feeling a little weak at the gust of emotions bubbling inside me. "Please don't ask me why but I can't say it to you right now.. After it's all over, I'll make sure to tell you everything, okay?"