We Can Be

-SCARLETT'S POV-

Jensen fell silent as Aiden brought out our food. As soon as the waiter had disappeared, he started right back up again. It was like a leak had sprung, and since it did, he couldn't stop.

"I don't know how it happened, but you went from being this stranger, this girl who I knew nothing about, to someone I'd do anything for, and that terrifies me to no end," he swallowed.

"Jensen," I breathed and his eyes, which were a mixture of the honey and emerald in the lights, locked onto mine.

"I really like you, too," I said. "And I know I've admitted it drunkenly to you before, but I really don't think that should count. When my agent called me about the audition, my first instinct was to turn it down just like every other audition she'd called me about since I got fired. But she insisted I would like this one, and so I gave her two minutes to sell it to me. As soon as I realized she was talking about Supernatural, I decided to take a look at the script and think about it. Then Tom found out about it, and when we looked at the script together, he pushed me until I agreed to take the audition. But after what happened, I was certain I wouldn't get the part.

"I've liked you since I watched the pilot in 2005, but it was just some crush on some guy until I got the chance to spend more time with you. All the banter and having to act like I liked you turned into not acting anymore. I'm going to be honest, until we were standing inches apart on that set, I completely forgot that we were supposed to be kissing during that scene. And then you kissed me and I forgot everything else. It felt so right, but then it ended and I told myself it wasn't real. That it was just an act because it was scripted. And it hurt, because I didn't want it to be just an act. I wanted it to be real."

It was my turn to pause while Jensen stared at me. I understood why he had ranted for so long. As soon as I started talking about how I really felt, it was like I couldn't stop, needing to get everything off my chest.

"I've wanted us to be real for so long, Jensen. But I've been too scared to say or do anything about it."

I was interrupted as he reached across the table and took my hand in his, rubbing his thumb across my knuckles.

"We can be," he said.

***

After dinner, Jensen and I went for a walk in a nearby park. It was chilly and I had forgotten to grab a jacket, so Jensen wrapped his around my shoulders. I didn't remember him having one at the beginning of the night, but everything was a blur except when we confessed our feelings to each other. I just kept repeating his words after my confession over and over in my mind. 

"Tired yet?" Jensen asked after a while.

"Ask me again in the car," I replied.

He chuckled, putting an arm around my shoulders and drawing me into his side. I felt his lips press against the top of my head and my heart fluttered in my chest. This still didn't feel completely real to me yet. I kept thinking Phil or someone else was going to yell cut, or I was going to wake up and realize it had all been a dream.

"Fifty cents for your thoughts?"

"I thought we established my thoughts are priceless and you can't afford them, Douchebag."

"Oh, come on, Lightweight. What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

I looked up at him, smiling a little when I saw the smirk on his face.

"I just don't want this to end," I told him.

"Who says it's going to end?" he asked, leaning down.

Before I could fully register what was happening, his lips were on mine and the same feeling from the first time bloomed in my chest. The world stopped turning, the wind stopped blowing, and everything was perfect. It was just the two of us, all alone with nothing but this amazing feeling. Life as we knew it could fall apart around us in that moment, and it wouldn't matter as long as I had Jensen with me. All too soon, he pulled away and I felt almost empty without the fireworks exploding in my chest.

"Okay, but we really should start heading back to the hotel," he said.

"Do we have to?" I whispered, not trusting myself to be any louder.

"Yeah, Lightweight, we do. We still have a convention to finish. The fans are counting on us."

"Screw the fans," I grumbled. "I want to stay here with you."

"Come on, Grumpy. Cliff's waiting on us."

"Cliff's waiting on us... The fans are waiting for us... Why can't we just ignore them?"

"Move your feet," Jensen told me, steering me back in the direction of the car.

"But, Jenseeen," I whined.

"You sure you aren't tired?"

"Maybe a wittle bit," I grinned, holding up two fingers to indicate the small amount.

"Alright, Lightweight, in you go."

He opened the car door, helping me get in before heading around to the other side. As soon as he was beside me, I leaned over and laid my head in his lap with a yawn. I felt him run his fingers through my hair in a soothing motion. I thought I heard him say something to Cliff, but I was too tired to comprehend what it was. My eyes started to flutter closed as I concentrated on the feeling of his fingers in my hair.

"I think I love you, Jensen Ackles."

The hand in my hair faltered slightly at the words I had muttered in my mostly-asleep state. As it started back up again I hummed to myself, letting sleep take over my last remaining senses. However, just before I was totally overcome, I swore I heard it. Six simple words uttered in a loving tone:

"I love you too, Scarlett Pearce."