44

——— + ———
motive
——— + ———

"What the fuck was that?! Who let her in!" Taehyung raged at his publicist over the phone. "You need to find her source now!! What am I paying you for?!"

We were in the car on the way home and we had just left the blunder of a press conference where the bombshell I was already aware of had been dropped. It seems like Taehyung either wasn't aware or didn't expect it to be exposed. I couldn't figure out which it was. But with this coming to light, I'm sure more eyes will be on him.

His phone rang loudly, I guessed it was his mom calling after seeing the debacle on live television. Taehyung conducted the press conference to squash the rumors, but it only led to an even bigger one.

"I know. I know how this looks mom!" He said over the phone, clearly frustrated. "I'm trying—you know what, I can't handle this from you right now." He said, before hanging up.

I said something that I knew would only make it worse, but I had to know. "Could it be yours? Ji-eun's baby?" I asked, keeping my eyes down and away from him.

I could see him turn his head in my peripheral. I knew he heard me, I guess he was surprised I had the guts to even ask.

"What?"

"Could it be yours?" I repeated, a little more confident this time.

He looked nervously at the driver. "No." He said finally. "Ji-eun is infertile."

"Obviously not." I retorted. "Her autopsy said she's pregnant." I said, sitting back into my seat. And then I thought of something more to say so I perked back up. "Thats not what I asked you anyway. I asked if the baby could've been yours."

"Well it's not."

"Did you sleep with her?" I said, raising my eyebrows. He had a shocked expression on his face, as if he was appalled at my vulgarity.

"Really?"

"So that's a yes then." I said, rolling my eyes. Hajoo was telling the truth for once.

"Why do you even care?! Huh?!" He said, raising his voice at me now. "We aren't married for real."

"I'm not jealous of a dead girl if that's  what you think. I'm not jealous of any girl you're with because I know how much a moron you are. You're a moron and a fuckboy!"

"A fuckboy?! A fuckboy?!!?!? Oh please."

"The only thing I'm thinking about is the fact that me and my son have been attached to your nonsense."

He looked back at the driver who I noticed was more stoic now. He probably felt awkward. "We will continue this conversation later." He said through gritted teeth. He sank back into his seat and continued working on his phone. I sat quietly until we got to the house. And when we pulled up I noticed two police cruisers were pulled up out front.

I began to gt butterflies in my stomach. As we came to a halt Taehyung hurriedly got out the car and I followed his lead.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Taehyung said, visibly upset.

One of the officers spoke. "We're going to need you and your wife to come with us, we just need to ask some questions—"

"You should talk to our lawyer then-"

"Your lawyers have already been notified and are on their way to the station as well." The officer said, having calculated Taehyung's responses already.

I knew this couldn't be good.

—— + ——

"I'm willing to cooperate as much as I can." I told the detectives, trying to make the tense situation more relaxed.