“You misunderstand.” He started, but I wasn’t ready to let it go just yet.

“No, I think you misunderstand. I’m tired of my heart being stomped on.” He looked panicked at my words and jumped in quickly before I could keep ranting.

“You don’t understand. I’ve weighed everything and I realized that I want you. You, James!”

I gave him an incredulous look. “You weighed everything?” I let out a long sigh and shook my head. “You know Landon, I really loved you.”

“James…”

“No, let me finish. Then I realized what an idiot I was. How could I love someone who thought I was second to their job? The only reason you want me now is because you’ve finally realized that you let a great girl slip through your fingers. I’m done with it. I’m done. If you really wanted me, you could’ve had me. Now it’s too late.”

“James, I love you.” He deadpanned and I gulped, frozen in my seat. I took a shaky breath before answering.

“What about Katrina? What about Kenya?” I asked, confused. This is not what I had thought this “talk” would be about.

“I don’t feel anything for Katrina anymore. She’s just a friend, and she’s the one who got me the position in Kenya. But I realized I was only going to take it because I was running away. Because I thought you’d chosen Noah. And then when I heard that you had chosen me, I think I was even more scared, because…how could we possibly feel so strongly for each other after so short a time? How could I possibly know that I loved you already, when we’d barely had time to breathe?”

Breathing, right. I needed to remember to breathe I thought to myself, feeling as if my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

“Landon…”

“Let me finish, while I still can. I couldn’t bear the thought of never seeing you again, James. Of never having the opportunity to do all the things I was jealous that Noah had with you. Of potentially having a life with you. You make me happy, James. When I’m with you…” he paused, squinting his eyes shut as if he couldn’t find the words. “You’re so warm, so sweet, so wonderful…my head is full of thoughts and images of you. Please, I know I hurt you…more than once. I know I’ve been stupid and stubborn, but I want to have the chance to prove to you how much I really care about you. Please give me another chance, James.”

I stared at him, so shocked I felt numb. I could distantly feel myself shaking. He reached forward and wiped the tears I hadn’t realized were falling down my cheeks. “Please say something.” He pleaded and I finally felt a laugh escape my throat.

“Oh my god, this is real.” I finally managed. He laughed in response.

“Very real. Now…I’m not proposing or anything yet, but…”

“One step at a time,” I finished for him before laughing again, wiping my cheeks.

“Does that mean yes?” He asked, his eyes brightening with excitement.

“Of course it does you idiot.” I said, unable to stop the waterfall that had erupted from my eyes. He laughed again moving over to my side of the booth and holding me against him, kissing my cheeks, my lips, anything he could manage.

“God, I love you so much, James.” He whispered haggardly, still kissing me repeatedly as if he couldn’t get enough.

“I love you too, Landon.” I managed to say through my strange crying/laughing hysterics. Oh my goodness…I couldn’t believe it. He loved me!

Abby

The very long text I received from James later that day had me giggling on the couch as I nibbled on a piece of pizza.

“What’s so funny?”  I heard Wes return from the bathroom and join me on the couch. We’d had an eventful morning following our shower, and now were enjoying pizza while we watched Saving Private Ryan. “It can’t be the movie, otherwise I’ll question your sanity.” He said, putting an arm over my shoulders.

“No, I’m giggling because your sister went on a date with my brother today and they confessed their undying love.” I explained. He didn’t answer at first, looking a little confused.

“How long were we in there?” He pointed back at my bedroom and I laughed again.

“I guess he really thought about it and realized just how much he loves her. And I mean, who wouldn’t? Even I love the girl.” I admitted.

“Yeah, she’s pretty awesome. She gets it from me.” I rolled my eyes at him and he smirked in reply.

“So after the movie, what do you have planned?” I asked him, trying to sound casual about it and not as curious as I actually was.

“I should go and check up on the club before it gets too busy seeing as it’ll be a busy night. Why?”

“No reason.” I answered a little too quickly.

“Hmm…” He mumbled thoughtfully before moving his lips onto my neck.

“Ah!” I sighed at the sensation.

“You want to come with me? It’ll be a quick check in and then we can grab dinner together…if you like.” He said, his lips still making magic against my neck.

“Oh, well, sure…that sounds cool.” I replied, once again trying to sound nonchalant, but failing due to his persistent seduction techniques.

“Good.”

“Is it a date?” I asked, excitedly.

“You’re damn right it’s a date.” He grumbled, moving to possess my lips with his. “No other guys for you. All mine.” He pushed me down on the couch and hovered over me. “Plan on seeing me a lot, Abby. Because I plan on seeing you.” Without another word, our lips were joined again, our bodies following suit. 

I knew from that moment that I didn’t even want to entertain the thought of other men, I wouldn’t need to.

 ______________________________________________

Epilogue is next! Should hopefully not be too long until I post it. If you enjoyed this, you should enjoy the story I start posting after the epilogue for this is up. It'll be called 'Bout Time (and also has to do with jazz!! Woohoo!) 

Love you all! Below is a description of 'Bout Time in case you all are interested :)

Bout Time

Kaira is a mixed girl of Indian descent navigating the theater world of New York City. Like most girls in theater who don't have the signature look to fit all roles, she suffers from always being thrown into the background roles, no matter how talented she may seem. That is, until she’s accidentally discovered by James Williamson, a prestigious theatrical producer. James is about to cast his newest production, a Jazz-based musical using famous jazz standards. Seeing Kaira’s innate talent and her effortless love of performing, pushes him into casting her as his new lead. However, things become more complicated when the very married James Williamson begins to fall for his new lead star.