Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"It's not. You should feel beautiful, powerful. Because you are. And I should've never made you feel the opposite."

I couldn't listen to this. Of course, it wasn't just him who crushed my heart, and I couldn't let him take the blame.

"Other people were worse. I guess..." I trailed off, debating my next words. Was I going to let myself be vulnerable in front of him?

I guess the answer was yes.

"It just hurt more coming from you," I added, looking up at him through my lashes.

He flinched, dropping his hand from my face. I leaned forward, with hesitation, but somehow, I trusted him. I trusted him not to hurt me anymore.

It was ignorant of me to try and wake him up—touch him while he was experiencing his worst, and I made a mental note to look up how to help him. Because I was determined to do so.

He searched my face, staying frozen in place as I brought my lips to his.

I kissed him softly, cupping his face in my hands.

He sighed against my mouth, and he relaxed under my touch as I rubbed my thumbs over his cheeks.

"I don't want you to go but maybe you should sleep in your room," he mumbled, and I pulled back.

I nodded, grabbing my clothes from the floor, and I tiptoed out of his room without looking back.

To say I was utterly confused was an understatement, and it kept me awake for the remainder of the night.

Why did it feel so good between us? Like we were made for each other? And why did I push away all my principles and throw myself at the guy that had made me feel so low all those years?

Maybe it really was time to forgive—and forget.

Maria groaned, sipping her water as she sat hunched over the table. "Why did we decide to eat out today?"

I chuckled, taking a bite of my pasta, actually feeling pretty good. I mean...

"This pasta is everything," I said, enjoying the creamy red sauce and little hints of basil.

Maria straightened up in her chair, studying my face. She finished her own meal, slowly placing her fork on her plate when she was done, keeping her eyes on me. "Oh, Bella."

I raised my brows, taking a sip of my water. "What?"

"You fucked him."

I almost choked on my drink, my eyes instantly watering, and I quickly placed my glass on the table.

"I...what?"

She rolled her eyes, running a hand through her hair. "I saw you leaving with him yesterday."

"And that means that I fucked him?" I questioned, my cheeks reddening—giving me away.

I fiddled with my napkin, slowly bringing it to my lips and taking my time wiping my mouth, looking anywhere but at my friend. Shit, what do I do?

"Don't you dare lie to me, especially since those bruises in your neck tell me enough," she said surprisingly alert, pointing a finger at me before she grabbed her drink again.