two

The beauty lied beyond the colors and the figures

The beauty lied beyond the colors and the figures. It was all in whose hand created such a tranquil place that promised personality. He could hear her laughter at the shine brought by sunflowers. Her timid moments with the violets. But she was perfectly portrayed by the daisies, that told of such angelic virtues that are riddled with secrets. Yet, he only had a few moments to stay within the borders. So he allowed his hands to stop caressing the petals of her flower, and find where she rests. "Lana dear, where are you?"

Even though he always found her in the same place, he always asked where she was

Even though he always found her in the same place, he always asked where she was. And that was a habit he would always have as long as his mortality dwelled upon the Earth's surface.

-----

"Everyone has tried and proposed the offer. But who are we to ask for more from him?"

Percy was smarter than most gave him credit for. But his heart was always way ahead, and this allowed him to see the humanity in her. The praetor had heart, she had intellect, and she knew her great capability. Yet, she spoke of the boy in a way that longed unknowingly. Unlike Jason, who she asserted a possibility of romance before, Alek was unattainable even to her. Like everyone else, he spoke to off about the boy. But to give Percy credit, most of them were from his cohort, the "worst" if one may. "You speak of a savior of Rome, someone as strong to be by your side, and I may achieve as a seasoned veteran. But isn't Alek all of that and more?"

Unlike the focus, both dogs had on him in the past few minutes, they spared him when she looked out as if the man they were talking about was in her sights. And even with her back turned, he could imagine the way her expressions would struggle settling among pride, sorrow, and longing. Why a great belief in these three emotions? Because to all he spoke about the legacy, they all tried to conceal the three sentiments. But besides the great consensus, her voice did not try to hide. Not careful but a composed impromptu, as if she was so confident in the topic of him. "Alek came before me, served as long as Octavian. But unlike many, he was born with a greater duty. A duty that goes above serving us, his fellow legionnaires." And he noted that when she once again met his eyes, there was a raw undertone in her speech of the boy. There was a look of sacrifice that was brought about by what she spoke on. It wasn't an "I gave up" timbre but an "I resign to what I have no control" resonance.

 It wasn't an "I gave up" timbre but an "I resign to what I have no control" resonance

"Alek is spoken for by the gods. And..." There it was the quiver, the dance of the hands playing a bow, not a harp. It was not for harmony. But to hit the truth right in the center. A truth Percy realized that could make a man feel so lonely. "Just like you say, he is the most Roman out of all of us. And he sees his duty as the first and foremost purpose of his life." In other words, Percy realized Alek had no time to love.

"If he doesn't have time for relationships, then who is Lana?"

-----

He was rarely found in the barracks of the Fifth Cohort. But unlike the rest, it was because of his time constraint, and not prejudice. And even so, what set them apart from the legion? People like Frank, Hazel, Dakota, and others might have no letters of recommendation. In the end, though, they submitted to be of service. This was a thought Alek struggled with, knowing how this prejudice only divides them more but also understanding how superstitious Romans are.

Was he at fault for being such a bystander when he never had time to witness these things?

But the inner tear of his personality was something to debate later. For now, he had to help the quest people. "Hey, heroes!" Tucked under his arm was a bag of clothes, all of which were intended for Percy as he was new. "I'm not too sure of your size, but I asked a child of Venus to tailor fit it."

Their faces held astonish but gratitude, one he wonders if he may accept. Is this an act of kindness or is this an act of duty? There are many gray areas in life, and in all honesty, Alek isn't sure if he has enough time to ponder on each. So he decides to settle in for their interpretation, with an affirmation from their words on what it may be. "You didn't really have to."

"I wanted to, after all, you three are more deserving than many think. And I have great hopes to you bringing home our lost eagle."

But before he can ask for his leave, the son of Neptune asked for a moment with him. Words a bit less formal than how he'd narrate it in his thoughts, but nonetheless, same sentiments. And he allowed himself to be accompanied by the veteran. A story he was familiar with but one he has to wait to unfold. And perhaps it will sooner than the boy on the other side because the sea-greened young man was holding on to his true Achilles heel. A person that made him strong and weak. A young woman who he'd ask about, or at least that's what Alek assumed Percy to ask.

"I've been told that you're this world's messenger. And I know that we're not close, I mean I just came here and all. But I just wanted to ask if you can deliver a message from me to this blonde girl by the name of ---"

But his rambles were smoothly cut into by Alek. The shorter man found it endearing, Percy's intentions. In fact, if he were allowed to reevaluate his life choices, he might have wanted to deliver love notes all his life under the service of Cupid. Nonetheless, there were matters that all had to be patient over. And he knew that Percy knew that, by the way, Lupa kept on pushing him away from going against time to retrieve such memories. So he does not plan to say the same words. That doesn't mean though he won't ease the young man's heart with phrases he can speak.

"Percy, you remember her and that'll keep you going until your fated to see each other once again."

And that was all he said to the quester as he left. And Percy didn't notice it immediately, he had already hoped down the elephant before he gained awareness of such a gift. But there was a golden raven in his pocket, the bird of the God Apollo. It glinted against all the shadow corners of where he stood, with carved letters of the Latin language. Its placement too caught him off guard, as it was slipped in by a thief, a master thief that might be called Hermes--he means Mercury. Right then and there, he knew that of course, it was Alek. The mysterious boy held a lot of silent power, enough to be spoken of by the gods.

"I have to return to solve your riddles, Alek. The riddle of Annabeth, and the riddle of you."