Chapter 16: Just the beginning

Start from the beginning

I don't know what I would do if they did get the police involved and they're waiting inside for me. I mean, it's understandable for them to do that when I just left the restaurant and didn't return.

I just don't know what to expect, and honestly, I'm scared.

"Are you ok?" I noticed that we were still sitting in her car outside in the parking lot, and I was probably spacing out. I looked over at her and nodded. "You were out with Richard, correct?" I nodded and watched her. "He doesn't know anything, does he?" I shook my head and she sighed. "If he asks, you need to tell him the truth," I watched her eyes for a moment. "No more lying, Therese,"

I slightly smiled, "I told you not to call me that," I watched as her lips curved into a smile.

"When you stop calling me Mrs. Aird, I'll stop calling you Therese," she smiled and it made me smile.

The effect that woman has on me.

We got out of her car and we still had a couple of minutes before school started. She was a teacher, so she needed to get her early.

We walked in together and hardly anybody was in the halls. A few kids, but none of them I really knew. I didn't know a lot of people from this school because I never socialized with anybody except for Richard.

I never really had an interest in making anymore friends, because I knew how fucked up my life was and I didn't want to drag anybody into it. That's why I didn't want to get so close to Richard, but it's a little too late for that.

He knows half my life, but the other half he doesn't need to know. At least not anytime soon.

I spotted Richard at his locker and I told Mrs. Aird that I would see her later. She said that she is going to talk to the principal about taking me home and picking me up again.

I watched her walk away and I couldn't slap this smile off my face.

I walked over to Richard and stood beside him. He looked over at me and I was ready for the explosion of questions and worry, and freaking out.

But it never came.

Instead, he just smiled at me. "Good morning, beautiful," I watched as he shut his locker door then faced me completely. I didn't understand why he wasn't freaking out, or shouting at me. He stared at me, "What?"

"Why aren't you freaking out?" I questioned as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why would I freak out?" he stared at me for a moment and I wondered if what happened last night really did happen. I mean, any person would freak out if their friend just disappeared.

"Did we go to the restaurant last night?" I had to make sure that I didn't imagine the whole thing.

He nodded and I still didn't understand. "I left last night," he nodded again and I was beyond confused.

"Yeah, I know. You told us that you needed to step out for a minute," he stared at me as I was studying him.

"And I didn't come back," I watched as he smiled and I couldn't figure out why he was smiling. "Why are you acting like an idiot? I left and you had no idea where I was. Why aren't you freaking out?"

He chuckled, "I know where you went, so why would I freak out?" ok, what the hell? He knew and he wasn't freaking out? What the hell is wrong with him?

"You knew and you weren't freaking out?" it didn't make a damn bit of sense.

"Why would I freak out? I'm pretty sure Mrs. Aird took really good care of you," he winked at me and I studied him for a minute. He stared at me for a moment when I didn't say anything. "You left with Mrs. Aird last night. I saw you and her outside of the restaurant because my mom wanted me to check up on you. When I seen you two, I knew that I didn't want to interrupt you so I went back, and when you didn't come back inside, I knew you left with her,"