I'm Freezing

This laughter took her fear away. Whether it was a human or a ghost, it seemed harmless. Meng Fuyao let her guard down and simply sat down, closing her eyes to rest.

She even waved casually to get its attention. Hey, you seem bored. Please keep a lookout for me if you really have nothing to do.

Yet another gentle laughter filled the air. It was pleasantly deep and refreshing. Even the collision of each syllable possessed a unique charm, reminding her of the sounds made by breeze grazing past the majestic trees above the northernmost parts of Di Regions mountain chains.

Amid the silent night, the scent of early autumn greens scattered over the sky, producing a distinctive fragrance much purer and nobler than ordinary flowers.

However, Meng Fuyao seemed not to have heard or smelled anything. She simply continued resting.

A third wave of laughter rang, close to her ears this time. Simultaneously, a bang was heard as a flame ignited from the ground in front of her. The orange ball of fire danced enthusiastically, but all she could see while secretly sneaking a peek through her semi-closed eyes, was a sheet of warm red.

Near the flame stood a lone pine tree and a man in loose clothes resting on it. His light-colored garment hung loose, its golden threaded embroidery turning vague under the darkness and flickering along with his every movement.

He reclined on the edge of a fine, brittle branch. Despite having a tall build, he appeared as light as a ball of cloud – leisure yet admirable and mighty.

He broke off a few gently swaying branches and threw them, one by one, into the fire with accuracy. As the branches stacked up, they gradually formed a triangular pile that fed the vigorous flames.

Between each movement of his fingers, a small mark could be seen on his right palm. It was slightly darker than his skin color, but because she was seated too far away, she was unable to make its shape out.

Meng Fuyao swept her eyes across the scene and ultimately set them upon the perfectly constructed fire heap. She secretly placed both palms on the ground.

There was no need to think. She identified this fellow as the ghost from earlier. Just by looking at the way he was skillfully casting the branches, she knew that her short legs wouldnt get her anywhere safe if he suddenly developed evil intentions.

Before she could shift her bum; however, that man spoke up. Lady, its cold out here, and Im wearing too little. Im freezing.

Meng Fuyao almost spat out the herbs that she had been keeping in her mouth.

Youre freezing

It was barely autumn, and they were on southern grounds so while the wind was intense, it couldnt be bone-piercing. Plus, there was such a big fire burning right before them.

Only a fool would believe your words, she thought.

As Meng Fuyao saw that man idling on the tree, resting his chin on his hands, and letting his gaze drift all over her body, she figured that he wanted to practice the most primitive method of gaining warmth. Thus, she slowly retreated further away from the fire.

Although this man seemed honorable and looked nothing like a rapist, there was no certainty that it was all goodness within his heart. Just like Pei Yuan.

Her raven black-colored eyes sparkled under the burning flames as she looked warily at that man. Her thick lashes cast a faint shadow down onto her palace face, which gave her the appearance of a kind of small animal that was nervously waiting for a battle.

As the mans interest was piqued, he asked, Are you cold, lady?

Great. Everythings going according to plan.