The Tomb

The Tomb

Chief, whys this tomb so gloomy? Feels kinda demonic. Did you check the almanac before leaving the house today? Someone in the group shouted with half his body extending into the main grave while wiping the sweat off his dirt-filled face. Shadows could be seen shuttling about.

Seen it, Meng Fuyao answered clearly despite having a mini torchlight in her mouth. She half-kneeled on the ground, brushed the dust off the enormous green sarcophagus and added without raising her head, Its going to be a propitious day. We will be entering the coffin, removing the clothes and shifting the bier. What a coincidence! Shifting the bier, as in moving the coffin. Its all related to death.

Damn, cant you say something more auspicious? a fatty, who had shouted earlier, asked as he rolled his eyes. When he lifted his head up, he spotted a minotaur on the ceiling mural. The lighting illuminated each stroke, making the drawings come alive. Fatty felt rather intimidated.

Meng Fuyao, on the other hand, had no time to entertain him. She was focused solely on her own job. As the dust gradually cleared, a three-headed, two-bodied, single-horned beast totem came into view. It had two wings and three pairs of glowering eyes that could scare almost anyone. However, Meng Fuyao was able to appreciate the fierce beauty this sacred, ancient civilization had to offer.

She broke into a smile as she caressed the totem with one hand and extended the other. Ruler!

Her command was quickly fulfilled.

Come, Fatty, lets get comfortable, she ordered while pulling him over. I will be on this side, and you on the other. Report the number.

No, Boss. Why are you always grabbing me like that? Fatty sounded off in desperation while attempting to struggle free.

Because youre a rookie. Meng Fuyao grinned. Rookies are meant to be trampled on by the old birds, so stop dilly-dallying. We need to finish this up as quickly as possible, so Ill have something to write about in my thesis this year.

Crazy workaholic. 22 years old, soon-to-be associate professor? Your existence is practically an insult to all the archaeology elites Amid his murmurings, Fatty did not forget to obey her orders. Intact. 2, 18, 0.94, 0.66, he read the numbers aloud.

OK! Meng Fuyao slapped the stone beast, causing a surrounding layer of dust to fly up. She looked at the coffin in satisfaction, busily anticipating a rise in salary upon assuming her new role at work. Thinking about how she could finally support her mothers dialysis, and hospital fees elevated her mood greatly.

All these thoughts had distracted her from noticing that her slap had generated a muffled reverberation that reached the end of the tomb and bounced back. The lingering echo sounded sinister, like footsteps produced by ancient giants who were stomping around, underneath the ground.

They were most definitely in a sealed area, but a gush of cold air came out of nowhere and made them shudder. The dim light within the grave coloured their faces ashen, so they looked almost ghost-like.

The archaeology team from Jiangsus Archaeological Research Institute had come to this southwestern land to excavate a nameless tomb that was said to exist even 100 years before Cao Caos era. Since the first day of their excavation, strange events had been taking place. At first, someone had eaten a wrong herb and suffered from continuous diarrhoea. The precious fertilizer gifted by an affluent city, which had been meant to nourish the barren plateau in Yunnan and Guizhou, had suddenly dried up. Later on, a teammate, Li, got bitten by a poisonous snake that was waiting outside his tent. The worst situation had happened earlier that day when they had opened up the grave. They hadnt planned to go down, but the team medic, Wang, who had rushed over to deliver some tools, had been struck on the head by a falling rock and collapsed.