09 . the perfect storm

chapter nine
corruption

"It's insane!" Hanna exclaimed. "How many words do they expect you to learn in one night?"

"Stringent" Aria said, reading one of the flash cards.

"Uh, tough. Inflexible." Spencer replied.

"It's not like you're actually gonna use them" Blair commented as she looked up from her phone.

"Meretricious" Aria read, ignoring Blair's comment.

"It's not like you go to college and then you start speaking a different language". Hanna said.

"It's about getting into college." Spencer replied. "Meretricious. Um, phony, flashy"

Aria hummed, turning over the card to show Spencer that she was correct before looking over at Hanna. "Uh Han, why are you still eating that?"

"It was here" Hanna shrugged, picking at the food.

"Put it in the garbage." Spencer said, eyeing the container in front of Hanna.

"Then I'd have to stand over the garbage and eat it" Hanna replied, making Blair smile slightly.

"Besotted" Aria spoke, already reading the next card.

"Infatuated, enamoured, in love with." Blair answered before Spencer could even process the question.

Blair shrugged when they all turned towards her, surprised that she knew the answer so quickly. Blair was pretty smart, not as smart as Spencer but she had a high chance of getting into a very good college later in life. However she got bored easily, hence to why she wasn't studying right now.

"What did Noel say to you after the memorial?" Hanna suddenly asked, looking at Blair.

"We are taking the SATs in less than twelve hours, can we focus?" Spencer huffed.

"Spence, you do not need to know any more big words." Blair spoke, shaking her head slightly. "You're scary enough as it is."

"I'm not scary!" the Hastings girl exclaimed before turning to Aria. "Am I scary?"

"A little" she replied.

"Hey, I saw Noel Kahn hug you. And he did not want to let go" Hanna commented.

"I don't know what your talking about" Blair said, placing her phone on the counter, wincing when it lit up.

"Is that him?" Hanna smirked, grabbing the brunettes phone before reading the message. "Tomorrow night? I can pick you up at 7."

Blair groaned when they all raised their eyebrows, Hanna wiggling hers suggestively.

"You should give him a chance. He's smart, he's cute, his Dad owns like half of Rhode Island and he's got really great lips." Hanna said, trying to persuade Blair.

"His Dad?" Spencer asked a disgusted look on her face.

"Noel. Ew. Seriously, B, you and Noel would look amazing together. Plus the two of are always together and he's literally had the hots for you since like 6th grade." Hanna said.

Blair sighed before snatching her phone back and speaking."I'll think about it, okay. And you're right, he really does have great lips." She smiled when all the girls began to cheer and gush over her words. "Anyways, what's going on with you and Alex? Is he back from that tournament yet?"

"Yeah, he's back" she shrugged.

"And?" Aria said, leaning forwards.

"And it's good." she smiled making Blair grin. She was happy Spencer had found someone that made her feel happy. Yes, Blair enjoyed Noel's company but no one could ever compare to the blonde male who was constantly on her mind. "It's so good. I want it to last but, I'm afraid I'm gonna blow it."