08. please do talk about me when i'm gone

chapter eight
corruption

"I was afraid it wouldn't be done in time for the memorial" Aria said, smiling gratefully at Spencer who helped her push the box into the Hastings living room.

"And the person who did this is from your mum's gallery?" Hanna questioned.

"Yeah" Aria nodded, looking at the blonde who was sat on the arm of the sofa.

"Where is your mum?" Emily asked, helping the two girls with the box.

"There's an apartment above the gallery, so she's staying there. Well, for now" Aria explained.

"Kinda weird isn't it. Your mum moving out?" Hanna said without thinking.

"Yeah. My dad should've left. That's what you'd expect" Aria replied, glaring at the blonde.

"Aria!" Emily said, making the shorter brunette look at her.

"I'm sorry," she apologised. "I didn't mean it like that. This whole thing just sucks."

"I know" Hanna replied, giving the Montgomery a small smile, her mind drifting to her own parents.

"Did anyone call Shelly Leonard?" Emily asked, breaking the awkward silence.

Aria hummed, before speaking. "What about the programme?"

"Almost done. But i think we should finish it before Ali's brother gets here" Spencer said making Blair freeze.

"When is that?" Aria asked, oblivious.

"Tonight. And he wants to see us in the morning." Spencer noted, repeating what Jason has told her over the phone.

"You know, I barely remember Jason" Hanna said as the five of them gathered around Spencer's island table.

"We didn't know him. He was just Ali's older brother down the hall." Aria said not noticing Blair's annoyed look.

"Behind a closed door" Spencer continued, a small smile on her face.

"With his hard core punk music vibrating through the floorboards" Emily laughed a little.

"How did he get into an Ivy League school?" Aria questioned.

"I don't know. It must of been his affirmative action with emos and goths" Spencer joked, giggling.

Blair, who still hadn't spoken since the Dilaurentis boy's name had been brought up, stood leant against the island table, a small frown on her lips. She watched as the other girls lifted the lid of the box and looked in side to see a sculpture.

"It's beautiful" Aria whispered.

"Pedestals already out there" Spencer informed them before adding, "next to the bench."

"Do you think Jason will like it?" Emily asked.

"Course he will" Blair whispered, surprising herself.

" You know, years from now, people are going to see this memorial.. and that's all that ever know about Ali. She'll be the girl they dedicated the bench too. And we'll be gone, but Ali will still be remembered." Aria voiced.

"That's immortality my darlings" Blair quoted. The other liars glanced at each other quickly after hearing hear speak, surprised at how much Blair sounded like Alison.

"I wish we could just chose the age we wanted to be and just stay there" Aria said, turning to face the other girls, who like her, was sat on the beach.

"The only way you could do that is to die young" Alison said, leaning back in her sun lounger. "Leave a beautiful corpse."

"Dont joke" Emily said, shaking her head at the blonde.