chapter 23

I picked up the mess easily enough, the hardest part involved dragging him outside, my plan was the bury him in the garden. I'll have to carefully uproot my plants but...its not like it matters now.

I have to go to Salem.

I slowly dug through the soft earth, well into the night. It wasn't until the sun was starting to come up that i was able to kick dear old dad's now-stiff body into the ground.

"Meet you in hell, old man." I mumbled to him. He looked so shocked even in death, as if he physically couldn't understand the betrayal he had endured. I sighed and began the tasking act of refilling the hole, all the while my chest and stomach throbbed from the strain.

I feel sorry for gravediggers.

As the hole came close to halfway my spine began to throb, and my insides ached sharply from the exertion. I groaned in pain as my back began to give out, and i sat back on my heels, panting until i collapsed to sit on my legs. This would have to wait. I can't leave before this is done, but i have to go soon. Fuck. Why did i kill him? I shouldn't have done that. I should have just let him yell and puff his chest and then duck out the door the first chance i got. I could've been well onto my way to Salem. I held my head up with my dirt-covered hands and felt the sting of heartache, paired with the pricking threat of tears.

I need Danny to come with me.

I held back a small sniff and picked up the remaining threat of tears. I couldn't let myself break down again, and i took a stabilizing breath, letting my heart rate slow down. I sat there for a while until my insides no longer ached, and i began reluctantly filling the hole again.

After I'm done with this, i need to clean the couch too.

======================================

Several hours later...

======================================

I sat myself down in the floor of my tub, letting the warm water wash away any dirt, blood and residual feelings.

I have to leave for Salem tonight, without Daniel. I just have to hope he's safe out there. I sighed and let my head fall back against the water, letting the warm liquid stream through my hair until it ran clear. It must have been ages until i felt clean.

When the water turning cold shocked my warm skin i finally decided it was time to get out. No point in sulking anymore.

I have a job to do.

I stepped out and grabbed my towel, drying off quickly and poorly. Just enough to slip back into my clothes. I tied my hair up in the towel and twisted, wringing any excess moisture out as i briskly walked into my bedroom, my vision was greeted by Danny's box of trophies clamped shut on my desk. I took a deep breath and took the box into my hands, and carried it downstairs to set it on my desk by the things i was taking myself. No way could movers be trusted with this stuff. I picked the right night to kill my father, at least. I scooped my canvas bag over my shoulder and cupped Danny's trophy box under my arm and carried them toward the garage, but froze just short of his car. i was gonna throw them in the backseat of his sleek black car, but what if he needs it? He could be out there somewhere, and what if he comes back?

I'll just take my car. He knows what it looks like...he'll be able to find me.

I stepped around the black chevy and slipped to the trunk of my white suv. I popped open the trunk quickly, and tossed the bag and box inside. I had to grab a few more boxes first, then I'll leave.

I turned around and looked out at the horizon of trees and woods that surrounded my home. These woods sheltered me and my actions for years, no wonder Danny was able to sit and watch me in those woods. It's pitch black m.mm.....out there, i dont think i would have been able to see him even if i was looking.

I'm gonna miss this place.

I turned back to go inside and grab more boxes. I juggled a box of my personal needs and food into the car, followed by more of Danny's stuff, and my clothes. That ought to do it, until the movers finish. I slammed the trunk closed and went back inside, not knowing if i should or just hop in the car and go as i crossed the threshold of the now mostly-empty house.

One last thing. I dug through my purse that rested on the counter, searching for my small notebook, and trimphantly retrieving it from the small inside pocket. I ripped a page from the inside, and snatched the attatched pen off the journal, and wrote a small note.

If you ever come back, I'll be in Salem waiting.

I love you.

I set the small note on the counter, and tapped the page a couple times, should i write more? No. This would be enough.

I looked around the room one last time, and left the key on the counter.