Chapter Forty-Nine

Sophie and the Equestria Girls (minus Fluttershy, who was still somewhere they didn't know about) stood on a pedestal, the twelve Councillors in front of them. It looked like the entire elvin world had come to see the Tribunal. 

Sophie, Sunset, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash were the most worried out of the seven girls. After all, they had been the ones who had gone off to bottle the Everblaze, and according to Sophie, Fintan said they all had the same past, which terrified all of them. 

Because if Sophie's past had to do with the Black Swan...

So did the three Equestria Girls'. 

And yet, Sophie wasn't afraid, despite being the one to go first. 

She'd been drugged and interrogated, watched her best friend tortured for trying to escape, and had to fight her way back from fading away. No matter what the Council decided, it could never be worse than what she'd already survived.

So her legs didn't shake as she walked forward to speak her defense, and she didn't tremble under Bronte's glare. Her curtsy was as ungraceful as ever—she heard Stina snicker as she lost her balance at the end—but she held her head high as she faced the Council in all their regal glory.

"Miss Foster," Emery said, his voice warm. "On behalf of the entire Council I'd like to express our relief that you made it home safely. We'd also like to assure you that we will find whoever was responsible for your kidnapping and make them see justice for their actions."

"Thank you," she said, proud of the strength in her voice.

"That being said, you stand before us today accused of very serious charges. What have you to say in your defense?"

She'd spent all night drafting the perfect apology for her actions, but she'd thrown it away before leaving Everglen. She wasn't sorry for what she'd done, and she wouldn't pretend otherwise. Oralie would know she was lying, anyway.

Sophie cleared her throat and addressed the entire Council—even Bronte. "I never wanted to break the law, and I don't plan on doing it again. But people were losing their houses. People were dying. I know they were humans, but I couldn't sit back and let it happen. I'm sorry if that's a crime. I won't argue if you punish me for my choice, but I firmly believe it was the right decision. I'd rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life."

Murmurs and whispers filled the room until Emery cleared his throat. Silence fell as he closed his eyes and placed his hands over his temples.

Most of the Councillors ignored her as they debated, but Terik glanced her way, shooting the tiniest wink when their eyes met. She hoped it was a good sign, but she couldn't be sure. Emery held out his hands to silence the arguments raging in his head. His eyes locked with Sophie's, his face unreadable.

"Thank you for your honesty, Miss Foster. While some of us"—he glanced at Bronte—"feel that your attitude is disrespectful and rebellious, none of us can deny that your actions uncovered a problem and conspiracy we ourselves had overlooked, and for that we owe you our gratitude. We can't, however, simply ignore the fact that laws were broken."

She sucked in a breath, preparing for the worst as the whispers and murmurs buzzed in her ears like static.

"There was much debate on what proper punishment would be," Emery continued, with another sidelong glance at Bronte, "but a decision has been reached—and it is unanimous." He cleared his throat. "Considering the fact that we, as your rulers, failed to protect you from recent unfortunate experiences, we feel that it would be inappropriate to assign any further punishment. Your transgressions will go on your permanent record, but your punishment will be marked as 'already served' and that will be the end of the matter. Is that understood?"