Chapter Thirty-Six

A high-pitched screech—like tires squealing across pavement mixed with hundreds of shrieking girls—jolted Sophie out of her dreams (and she had to give some respect for Sunset, who somehow managed to sleep through any issue). She threw on work clothes and rushed outside to see if Grady and Edaline needed her help.

It was still dark, but once her eyes adjusted Sophie could see an eagle-size golden pterodactyl trying to escape the leash Grady held. It somersaulted in the sky, dragging Grady like dead weight, while Edaline and the gnomes tried to calm the nearby animals.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Sophie covered her ears. "How can I help?" she shouted to Grady.

"You shouldn't be up. Go back to bed, Sophie. We don't need any help." Grady wrapped the leash around his legs for extra stability and then yanked the cord, trying to rein the creature in. The beast fought back, using speed and momentum to pull Grady over as it gained headway.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Kinda looked like he needed help. . . .

Sophie stared at the pterodactyl, trying to figure out what to do. Two enormous golden eyes locked with hers, and as she held its gaze an image filled her mind.

Fire.

Sophie wasn't sure how, but she knew what to do. She raced for the shed, grabbed the alchemy torch Edaline used when she made solutions for the animals, and raced back outside. A pile of dried umber leaves sat in the middle of the pasture, waiting to be dispersed to the animals for breakfast. Sophie ran straight for it and lit the mound before she could change her mind.

"What are you doing?" Edaline screamed as Sophie jumped back from the enormous blue flames that smelled uncannily like fried chicken. "Someone get some quicksnuff."

"Just wait a second," Sophie said, pointing to the pterodactyl, which had quieted down. "I know what I'm doing." She really hoped that was true.

The creature circled once, then dived nose first into the blaze. Sophie couldn't help shrieking as the fire engulfed its golden body, but the pterodactyl flapped its wings in the flames like a bird in a birdbath. Sophie had to back away to avoid the flying sparks.

"What on earth were you thinking?" Edaline demanded, jerking Sophie farther away from the fire. "What would possess you to do that?"

"It was cold." Sophie pointed to the pterodactyl, still playing in the flames.

"Cold?" Grady asked, joining them. He was covered in bits of grass and mud.

"Yeah," Sophie told him. "She needed fire."

Grady stared at Sophie, then at the creature. "I think you're right. I bet this is a flareadon. They have fire-resistant fur—and they have to be around flames or they'll freeze to death. It's why they're so rare. But how did you know that?"

"I'm not sure, but I think . . ." She tried to replay the moment. It wasn't a triggered memory—she'd been worried about that at first. It was more like . . .

"I think I read its mind. Is that possible?"

Grady ran his hand across his face. "I don't know. I've never heard of anyone reading an animal's mind before."

"Who cares?" Edaline interrupted, her voice an octave higher than normal. "You could've been burned! You could've been killed! And you're supposed to be in bed, resting from your last brush with death!"

Sophie backed a step away from the wild-eyed Edaline. "I was just trying to help."

"We don't need your help, Sophie. We need you inside—where it's safe. Now go!" She pointed to the house.