A New Day (Part 1) | "Wanna be friends?"

It was night time as Lee and Clementine reached the farm in Shawn’s pick-up and everyone got out, looking out at the dimly lit house. Chet stumbled out of the back and stretched his arms.

Chet: Hey, Shawn… I’m’a run on home. My mama’s gonna be in a snit.

Shawn: No sweat, man. I’ll catch you tomorrow night.

The man turned to Lee and Clementine, smiling.

Chet: It was nice to meet ya both.

Lee waved goodbye and then Chet left the farm. From behind them, the farmhouse door opened and Shawn’s father, Hershel, walked out. 

Hershel: Thank god you’re okay.

Shawn: I was worried it’d be bad here, too.

The boy wrapped his father in a firm hug.

Hershel: Been quiet as usual the past couple days. Ol’ Breckon down the way thinks his mare’s gone lame but that ain’t nothing new.

Shawn: I wouldn’t have made it back without Chet.

Hershel: Well, I’m glad you took him with you then.

The old man then saw Lee and Clementine, changing his stance to put his hands on his hips.

Hershel: You’ve brought a couple guests.

Lee: Your boy’s a lifesaver.

Hershel: Glad he could be of help to somebody. So it’s just you and your daughter then.

Shawn: Oh, not his daughter, he was her neighbour.

Hershel didn’t seem so sure of this and crouched down in front of Clementine, giving her a warm smile.

Hershel: Honey, do you know this man?

Clementine: Yes.

Hershel: Okay, then.

He got back up, turning to look at Lee. He caught sight of the wound on his leg.

Hershel: Well, looks like you hurt your leg pretty bad there.

Lee: Yeah, it’s not doing so good.

Hershel: I can help you out. Shawn, run on in and check on your sister. You, take a seat up on the porch and I’ll go see what I have.

Shawn and Hershel went into the house as Lee took a seat on the porch, Clementine standing near the top of the stairs. A short time after, Hershel appears again, holding some bandages. Slowly, he kneeled down and inspected the man’s injury.

Hershel: Let’s have a look. Yeah, this is swollen to hell.

Lee: It HURTS like hell.

Hershel: I bet it does. What’d you say your name was?

Lee: It’s Lee.

Hershel: Nice to meet you, Lee. I’m Hershel Greene.

Carefully, the older man wrapped the bandages around Lee’s leg, making him wince in pain.

Hershel: How’d this happen?

Lee: Car accident.

The man nodded.

Hershel: That so? Where were you headed? Before the car accident?

Lee: I was getting out of Atlanta.

Hershel: The news says stay.

Lee: Yeah, well, that’s a mistake. We hit a guy, one of those things you’ve been hearing about, on the road.