Chapter Fourteen: Rogue Hunters

S itting on the couch with Damien's arm around me after school, I sighed and leaned my head against his shoulder. "Where is she?" I said for the tenth time. I glanced at my cell phone, hoping she'd text back or call soon. It was about an hour after school and she still hadn't arrived with the presents she was going to bring.

Damien smiled at me. "Good question," he said. "Didn't you say it was Abs who hated when people were late?" When I nodded, he laughed. "Bit ironic then, huh?"

I thought about this. Yes, it was a bit ironic that she'd be the one late for something important. "Too bad she told us we couldn't start without her or she'd kill us."

Damien laughed. "The funny thing is that she'd never be able to. Seeing how we're five times stronger than her and all," he commented. He smiled, then frowned. "I also wonder what's taking her, though. She said she'd be here soon."

"I wouldn't be surprised if she just forgot something more than once. It's not like she hasn't done that before," I commented. "I remembered one time she left and had to go back to her house about five times. It was pretty annoying, but she kept on forgetting things she said that she really needed." I rolled my eyes. "Even though they were just small things."

Damien raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, that probably would annoy me after a while?" Then he added, "That is, if the things the person were getting was unimportant. There'd be now reason to go back and get it."

I was about to comment when there was a knock at the door. It was followed by another when I wasn't there immediately. "Hello, Abs," I said before the door was completely open. "What took you so long?" I asked, taking in the bundle of packages she was carrying. The good part about having a rich friend was you always got good birthday presents.

"Sorry I'm late. I sorta remembered this really cute shirt I was wanting to get, so I went to quickly by it. I went by a T.U.T store, and I just had to stop there. I wanted to get something for you since I wasn't here for your birthday, so...." She gave me about half the presents in the pile, a huge smile on her face. "Do you forgive me for being late?" she asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I forgive you," I replied. "I'll unwrap them later when I'm not busy trying to set up a party." I sighed. "Too bad there's six more pairs of hands that have to be doing something else."

Damien shrugged, saying, "Actually, ten pairs of hands. My mom and dad are helping out on the present," before over to me.

I shook my head. "Okay, ten pairs of hands. But for now, we only have three pairs and we need to have the party set up in-" I paused to glance at my watch. "We have two and a half hours, but I must forgive Abs for her tardiness because of the presents she brought." I flashed her a grin before continuing. "So, Abs, you start wrapping up the presents I got my dad, as well as the new cell phone Damien got Dad." I glanced at him. "Now, thanks to you for being a suck up, I'm going to have to explain how the new phone you got him works until I'm crazy."

Damien laughed. "Sorry, but I thought he'd like it," he defended. "Plus I bet it'll make a good impression."

"He's not too happy when sucked up to. At least, most of the time. It depends on whether or not he likes you a bit before you begin sucking up to him." I shook my head. "But for now the only thing I need to worry about it the fact that you're making me make the cake."

Damien chuckled. "Don't worry. I'll help you make it." Even though he was trying to reassure me, my stomach still churned at the thought of me cooking more than blue berry pancakes. No matter if I was a great cook or not, I was still nervous.

Damien began instructing me in what to do, and he did, indeed, help me out. I wished he would've done more, though, because the whole time I was worrying about whether or not someone was going to die here today because it was me cooking. I done whatever he said, no matter how much I wanted to ask for his help. I bit my lip as I looked at him for more instructions.