Chapter One: My Life

I let the freezing water run down my face as I tried to rid myself of all remaining tiredness. When I was finished doing this, I looked up at the mirror to make sure I would look okay for school, despite the fact I didn't really care. I saw my tired reflection staring back at me through the reflective glass. I was only about five foot three, so I was shorter than most people in my class. My russet brown hair was still pulled back into the messy ponytail I'd made, my long bangs tucked behind my ear, and my lids were just barely more than over half-lidded over my copper brown eyes. I was wearing blue shirt that said Let's Go Bucs on it, short sleeves that showed only my tan forearms, and shorts the were the appropriate size for school.

It had been three years since the "incident" with my mother, and now I was living with my dad, again, in Buckhannon WV, attending Buckhannon Upshur High School. Buckhannon was a small city (although I still considered it a town) probably not many people would know of, but it was a nice place to live. Sure, some of the guys might be totally clueless, but besides that, it was great. I sighed as I prepared myself to go to school.

After doing and redoing my hair countless times, not having anything else to do, I walked downstairs to eat breakfast. My dad was a middle school gym teacher, so he was already gone. My dad was Devin Kry, or as the football team called him, Coach Kry.

My dad and I lived together in a two stories house, not counting the basement. We had a living room and a kitchen with the table in it. The living room had a small blue couch, a black seat, and a big screen TV. The kitchen only had enough room for a small fridge, a few cabinets, a small stove, a small wooden table, and a sink. We didn't need much space. We hardly ever had any company, and when we did it was usually my friends, Abby Nelson and Eddie Jenson, who preferred EJ.

When I got downstairs, I poured myself some apple juice, and then I got a bagel out of the fridge. I walked over to the table and ate my small breakfast in silence, my brain going through the french numbers. I knew un(one) through quarante(forty).

I looked at my wrist watch, a little confused. It was Wednesday, which was the day EJ usually came to my house early. Every Wednesday, EJ would come over before Abby came over to pick us up. Then, when he got here, he would always ask me out. It had started getting annoying after the tenth time.

The reason for Abby coming over was because she picked us up Wednesdays and Thursdays. We each drove each other to school to save gas. On Mondays and Tuesdays, EJ drove. On Fridays, I would drive. The reason why I only had to drive one day was because I would have to drive if we did any group activity during the weekend.

I raised an eyebrow as the minutes went by. EJ would usually come over twenty minutes before Abby usually arrived, but it was already five minutes before Abby was supposed to be there. I smiled. I figured that he had finally given up after being told no countless times. Boy was I wrong. After only seconds the doorbell rang.

"'Sup, Kat?" EJ asked as I opened the door. I smiled friendly at EJ. He was sweating like crazy. I guessed it was because he ran here. Today he was wearing a black shirt with a white button-up shirt unbuttoned, faded blue jeans, and sneakers. EJ's wide green eyes gleamed with excitement. His dirty blond hair was sticking up in the back, which I found funny, but I decided not to make a comment. I hated the fact that I actually had to look up a bit to meet his eyes. In my opinion, being short sucked.

"Not much, EJ," I replied. I stepped aside and gestured for him to come in. EJ nodded in gratitude, and then stepped in. After hesitating for a couple of seconds, EJ walked to the kitchen and sat down. He politely pulled a chair out for me. I rolled my eyes when I saw it was the chair right beside him. I knew I was being rude, but I sat on the opposite side of the table.