Chapter Thirteen: Replaced

G asps filled the air as Owen made his exclamation. Everyone's eyes fell on me, almost all of them filled with absolute hatred, convinced that Owen was right; they were certain they were face to face with their number one enemy. I met some of the eyes, wanting to flinch or move, but that would make me look guilty. That would make me look like a person just caught lying. I couldn't do that. I couldn't make them think they were right.

"No, she's not," Damien said, suddenly at my side, arm around me. "You're wrong, Owen." He glared at the boy who dare claim I was a Hunter. "On the contrary, you're far from being right."

"There's no other explanation, Damien. And you know Hunters aren't allowed in here." Owen took a step forward, his eyes narrowed, fist clenched. I met his hatred filled eyes, gulping. I tried to take a step back, but Damien kept me in place. "Any Hunter who comes here has to be killed." He glared from me to Damien. "I never even thought you, though the nicest person I know, would actually protect one of these horrible creations."

I felt my anger flare. "Hunter's are still humans too, you jerk!" I yelled, walking forward so I was right in front of him, jerking away when Damien tried to pull me back. Yes, I would have been safer if I'd just stayed back, but I was ticked. "If our parents and grandparents hadn't been so freaking obnoxious, Hunters wouldn't have been created. Some of you still act so full of yourselves it's annoying and abuse your powers even after the law was set. Morons like you are what created Hunters!" I screamed, fist shaking in anger. "I'm ashamed to call myself a Super Human." I shook my head. "Now stop acting like an idiot and saying I'm a Hunter just because you don't want to go along with the bet and have pink hair."

He leaned into my face, his eyes narrowed. "You probably wish I believed that," he murmured, eyes still narrowed in rage. "Good thing I'm too smart to fall for your lies, Hunter."

I was suddenly yanked back right before a metal needle hit my neck, passing my face by less than an inch. I was pulled into Damien's arms, the Armstrongs looking nervously around before at Damien. "Listen to me," he yelled, eyes narrowed. "Next person who tries to attack her is going to get hurt. I'm not going to let you hurt her when she's not a Hunter. Heck, I wouldn't let you hurt her even if she was a Hunter, because she's right. They're human as well, just not as freaking obnoxious as most of us."

"Then what is she, huh?" the blond haired girl I'd spoken to at the volleyball game snapped. "There's no other explanation."

"Told you your power was very rare," he whispered to me so low I doubted I would be able to hear it if it wasn't for the fact my hearing was enhanced. "They don't even think of that as a possibility anymore."

I gulped, slipping out of his arms and taking his hand. If anyone attacked me, I didn't want them to miss and hit him.

"There's an easy answer you're all over-looking," he replied in a voice so loud I was sure John and Ellen were going to run over here soon to see what was going on. When everyone stared at him, completely blank, he sighed. "Have none of you heard the rumors?"

"Which rumor? There's ton of rumors out there," a random Super Human remarked.

"About why there's so many Hunters in Buckhannon. Why they even have a new base around here," Damien supplied, eyes still narrowed.

Another random person let out a bark of laughter. "No way, dude. The last absorber died three years ago," said a male voice. "They're exactly as you said - rumors."

"I think you're wrong," another boy said, elbowing everyone out of his way so he was in front of them. He had golden blond hair that wasn't short, but wasn't long either. It was about medium length, I guess. His steal blue eyes met mine. He, unlike everyone else, was wearing an orange sleeveless shirt, only showing sun baked arms, and black pants. He was about my age, but with his height he looked a bit older. His Adam's apple was more visible than it was on most boys.