Chapter Four: The Storm

B
oom!

The sound of thunder woke me up. Well, that, and the major headache I had and the nightmare I just had. I groaned, rubbing my head. I glanced over at the clock. It wasn't even six yet. I looked up at the ceiling, rubbing my head. I tried to remember my dream, which had scared me half to death.

I had been running. From what? No clue whatsoever. I remember that it had been raining. There were tons of people in the bushes, all watching me as the person or thing chased me.

"Catch her. Kill her," they had been saying, the thing behind me running faster.

"Help!" I'd screamed, tears streaming from my eyes. I yelped as I tripped over a thick tree root that had sprouted from the ground. I turned, facing the thing that had been chasing me, which turned out to be human. It was a girl, I think. Like the girl in my dream the night of the Shooting Stars party, she'd been covered in shadows, making her face impossible to see.

"Get away from her!" a familiar, male voice yelled, tackling the girl away from me. "Kat, are you okay?" EJ turned to face me, smiling like a fool.

"EJ!" I tried to scream, but no words came. "EJ! Behind you!" Still nothing.

"Get out of my way!" the girl screeched, jumping at EJ. I watched in horror as the girl's nails grew longer, the moon light reflecting off them like it would a knife. The girl threw her hand forward, her nails easily piercing his skin. "Die!" Her now bloody hand came out the other side so I could see it.

"EJ!!!"

Then, thankfully, I'd been woken up. The only bad thing about me waking up was the headache. I rolled to my side, hoping to go back to sleep and have a good dream rather than a bad one. I was about to go back to sleep when the thunder outside made my headache get worse.

I sighed, and then got to my feet. I tried to rub the sleep from my eyes, but I'm not sure if it worked. I yawned, stretching my arms. After that, I got to my feet. I stumbled to the door, still a bit too tired to completely focus on anything. I groaned as my headache made me give it some attention. It felt like my brain had turned into rocks that were trying to escape through my forehead.

"So annoying," I grumbled to myself, and then began to walk to the kitchen. I almost fell down the steps twice, but was able to catch myself. This headache was way more than just annoying.

I walked quicker than normal to the kitchen, rubbing my head a couple of times. I got to the medicine cabinet, and then looked around for the right kind. When I found it, I placed it on the stand, and then retrieved a cup. After that I poured myself some orange juice. I got a few tablet from the small medicine container, and then downed them with the orange juice.

I gulped down the rest of the orange juice, and then went to drop it in the sink. I paused, something out the window catching my eyes. Holy crap! The sky was practically purple! My mouth slightly fell open. I'd never seen it this dark before. I blinked a couple a times, and then rubbed my eyes. Was it possible that I was still dreaming?

When the sky stayed the same color, I sighed and walked away from the window. Not knowing what to do, I walked into the living room, plopped down on the couch, and turned the television on.

I turned it to the news, wondering what it would say about the storm that was going on outside. Nope. It showed Buckhannon, but it said it was suppose to be a nice, cloudless day. I'd thought that was what it had said yesterday. Hm. The weather guy was usually right. Could this be some freak storm? Or was this just the weather's man first time being wrong?

I sighed, laying down as I waited for the medicine to kick in. I didn't notice I'd been falling asleep until the darkness consumed me. For once, I was overjoyed not to dream about anything.