Chapter Ten: Super Humans

A re you sure she's okay? She looks like she's in pain." It was Alley's voice I heard, only barely awake. I don't know when I fell asleep, only that I had.

"Yeah, Damien. Maybe you should wake her up," Anne agreed.

I could hear the smile in Damien's voice when he said, "Kat already is awake. Why you keeping you're eyes closed, huh?"

I couldn't help but smile slightly, slowly opening my eyes, and then grabbed my head. Like the day of the storm, my head was killing me. I remembered Damien saying something about me having a really bad headache when I woke up, and I did.

"How bad is it?" Damien asked me, looking at me with eyes full of worry.

I finally noticed we were no longer flying, but instead we were on the couch. The other Armstrongs were staring at me with about as much worry as in Damien's eyes. "Why're we back on the ground?" I asked Damien

"Well, you were started to squirm a bit, plus your face was getting a bit hot, so I brought you down for two reasons. One was so I wouldn't drop you while the other one was to get a wet rag on your face."

I nodded.

"So, are you happy to know the truth?" Max asked me, smiling. "Now you know what happened."

I put a fake smile on my face and nodded. "I feel better now," I lied, feeling like I was about to cry. I felt responsible for my mom's death, but I wasn't going to let anyone know that. I'd wait until I went to sleep that night and then bawl my eyes out. I looked at Damien, and it was clear he didn't believe me for one second. He seemed really good at reading my emotions. "What time is it?" I asked Damien.

Damien thought for a moment, looked at the clock, and then said, "It's eleven p.m. in two minutes," he replied. He smiled. "You still tired? I could just tell you everything so you don't fall asleep during school."

"I guess so. I'm really tired," I said, looking away from him. It was obvious he didn't believe me. I stood up and walked to the guest room I'd be staying in, realizing that it was the same room I'd stayed in when me and my mom came here. I entered it, looking around. It was the same way I'd left it three years ago. I shut the door behind me. I walked over to the bed, forcing the tears back. I slid under the covers, curling up on my side, and then grabbed one of my pillows and held it against my face so it muffled my cries. I didn't want anyone else to hear them. It was my fault my mom was dead. That thing that had happened to her heart that had been unfixable happened because of me.

"Kat," I heard a voice say, making me look at the door. Damien was standing there, staring at me with pure worry. Crap. He'd caught me crying.

"Damien," I said, my lower lip quivering. I looked away, and then the next moment Damien was suddenly at the side of the bed. "Leave, please."

I was suddenly pulled into Damien's arms, him somehow managing to slide under me. He held me to him, his arms making me feel safe and protected. "It's okay, Kat."

"No it's not," I disagreed. "It's my fault my mom died. If I hadn't run away, she'd still be alive."

"It's not your fault, Kat. I promise it's not," Damien murmured, his face buried in my hair. "You didn't kill your mom, no matter if you think you did."

I pulled back to look at him. "What makes you say that? The energy came from me, so it is my fault she's dead." I have no clue why I was arguing about it being my fault when I should want it not to be, but I was. I closed my eyes, feeling a fresh batch of tears filling my eyes. Apparently it wasn't a good idea to think of what happened.

"No, Kat," Damien disagreed yet again, pulling my head back down to his shoulder, slightly rocking me back and fourth. "I know you told your dad that you were sleeping by yourself, but I think he'd make an exception for this particular moment."