Chapter Nine: Revived

Aww... This chapter... It was fun XD

*~*~*~

M emories flooded into my mind, going through my head like a family video. Most of the time we were going through towns, searching for something that I didn't know what was. While we were in Columbus, Ohio, I asked, "What the heck are we looking for, Mom?!"

"Not a what, honey, but an old friend of mine," she'd replied, running a hand through my hair. "I think he can help us, so we're going to go visit him."

"Are you leaving dad?" I had demanded, crossing my arms stubbornly. "Because I won't like the man we're going to if he's supposed to be his replacement." I glared at my mom. "If he is, I hope he drops dead." It wasn't something I'd usually say, but I was ticked that my mom had made me leave my dad.

"He just might have," my mom had whispered so low I doubt it was meant for my ears as she flipped through the phone book. "None of them." She sighed before turning to look at me. "Listen, honey, me and your father aren't separating." When I'd continued to glared stubbornly at her, she'd added, "I promise. I love your father with all my heart."

"Okay," I'd said, giving up. "Fine."

We spent the rest of the week looking at every town my mom could think of, looking through countless phone books. Every time we left within a few hours of arriving, unless it was night time. If that was the case, we stayed at a motel.

"We're coming up with nothing," Mom had muttered one day, pacing back and forth in our room, thinking I was asleep. "At this rate, they'll find us. That one has gotten close too many times."

What was Mom talking about?

"Maybe I should go to them. It's bound to have worn off by now. I can trust him to be by her." She continued muttering to herself until about three in the morning, which was when a knock came at the door.

"Anyone in here?" A teasing, familiar female voice came from the other side of the door.

Before I'd gotten a chance to ponder on why it sounded familiar, I was swept out of my bed and into my mother's arms. "Don't open your eyes, Kat." There was the sound of wood shattering, and I quickly found out that we'd caused it. "Have fun catching us." I glanced up to see a girl about two or three years older than me with black hair running at us, all her other features besides her green eyes invisible due to the darkness. She was running, but we were moving so quickly away from here it looked like she was in a pool of water. And then the wall was suddenly in front of us, and we were falling. My mom's grip had tightened on me, and then there was a thud as we landed. "Darn it. Why so soon?"

I heard the thud of feet as my mom ran to the car, sliding me in and buckling before doing the same. "I said close your eyes, Kat!" my mom snapped, but I could see the worry in her eyes. The worry was what made me obey and close them. The last thing I saw was my mom pulling out her cell phone as she began to drive.

"John! John, this is Rebecca." There was a pause. "Yes, the absorber. I didn't know you knew two Rebeccas." Another pause. "We're being attacked by a Rouge." She glanced in her rear view mirror. "I'm heading to your house with my daughter. I can't find Ned no matter how hard I look. Was he killed?"

I heard a male voice say yes.

"Yet another friend," my mom murmured, tears building up in her eyes. "How many do they have to kill until they're satisfied?" I was surprised at the disgust in her voice.

"Where are we going, Mom?" I asked, confused.

"To one of my other friends' house, Kitty - Kat. We'll be there very soon." Then she added, "I hope."