Chapter 46

SCARLET DIDN'T KNOW WHY she dragged herself to the dumb prom. Maybe to claim normalcy in her life of chaos. She regretted it deeply as she sat at the bleachers, watching students dance in their fancy get-ups in Winter Bay's run-down in-door gym.

She blew a raspberry. There she was in her own dress—a pale pink backless style that flowed to the ground—and she wasn't swirling it around the dance floor. Not like her friends. They jumped and twirled around the white and blue decorations Gwenn must have put up the night before, holding their plastic cups in the air with the source of their easy-going carefree-ness.

Did she wish to numb everything in her mind? Yes. But she also wanted to make it home in one piece. And sulking in the corner seemed like the best way to ensure her safety for the rest of the night.

After the Elliot drama went down backstage at Zion Auditorium, word travelled fast across Hales Bay. Everyone knew he had murdered her mother. She wasn't ready for the next wave of fake sympathy to crash over her head, but it did and she was left sopping wet. People still went up to her to apologize for something they didn't really feel sorry for, but she let it be. Instead of fuming for the rest of the day, she tried to understand them.

Mayor Warren got his Romeo & Juliet production, and he told everyone with ears how much he adored it. Though there was a slight change in the cast—Flora took over the part of Juliet for Lindsey. Everyone raved over her performance.

Lindsey was unheard of after the showdown, not even attending the stupid prom. Probably too busy testifying for her involvement with Elliot. Though Scarlet had to admit, the prom was dull without her trying to put everyone to shame.

It all dimmed, despite the bright lights and glittery streamers. Others seemed to have fun. She tried to mingle, her way of taking normalcy back into her life, but after a while, she didn't want to keep faking.

She knew she needed to get back on her feet. Nothing should hold her back from living her life, no matter how terrible the setbacks were. But every time she jumped the gun for a taste of normal life, she retreated with a grimace. The bitter taste engulfed her, and she had to gag before going back to her little dark corner.

It frustrated her to think she wasn't ready to be out, but how could she ever be ready? Life would always have a tinge of bitterness, and she would have to get used to it.

She sighed and stood up. Her friends continued jumping to the beat of the song, their laughs echoing around them. Scarlet took one last look at everything before sauntering out of the gym, her bottom lip in between her teeth.

Trudging up to the parking lot, she realized she didn't drive there on her own. She sank onto the concrete steps, watching couples stumble out in a mess of giggles and whispers. The night would see lots of people professing their apparent undying love to their current significant other. The morning would have a louder laugh as regret settled in for a few of those confessions.

A car honk startled her upright. The sleek black car she knew stood before her. The window rolled down as Jake stared at her with that smile she adored.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. Not that she didn't want to see him, but he had his own prom to attend. As always, Winter Bay and Lexton Prep tried to one-up each other, even with their school activities. Their union for the play had passed and they were back to their stupid feud.

"A little birdie told me you were a bit down in the dumps at prom," he said. She rolled her eyes. Sierra. "Care to come with me?"

She looked back at the entrance to the gym, lined with blue streamers and tacky sparkles. She always dreamed of prom being the starting point to her goodbye to high school, filled with a load of trouble on her part. But now, none of it really mattered.

Scarlet got inside his car. "Take me away."

He grinned and stepped on the gas, speeding away from Winter Bay.

JAKE PARKED IN FRONT of Zion Auditorium. She frowned at the odd choice, but let him lead her out of her seat and into the heat of the late Spring night. She wanted to ask a million questions, but she kept her mouth shut.

He interlaced their fingers together and guided her to the side of the building. A small smile made its way to her lips as she recalled the first time he brought her there, right after rehearsal. She had been so closed off to him, wary at his Preppy status. How could a Rodent like her be with someone like him? Wouldn't his side think he'd be tainted?

Such thoughts seemed silly after everything, even when the feud was still alive.

She realized the feud would always persist for as long as Winter Bay and Lexton Prep existed. It was a part of who they were. But at least they proved that despite the stupid feud between them, they could work together. One would even go as far to think that the feud was all in good fun.

Scarlet stopped at the base of the metal ladder. She frowned at the top of the building. Jake went first, guiding her carefully. She still feared, but she bundled up the skirt of her dress and watched her every step, hoping she wouldn't take one wrong step and tumble down.

Maybe that was Jake's intention after all. The feud was on.

They reached the top, and Scarlet couldn't even hide her surprise. A simple arch stood decorated in pink and crimson roses beside a small table with different snacks and drinks. Soft music flowed into the night air as Jake placed his phone down.

"Can I have this dance, my Juliet?" He extended his hand to her. She smiled and let him pull her close.

They stayed in each other's arms, relishing their presence. Scarlet shut her eyes tight, wanting to remember the feeling of the beating of his heart, the soft sways of their bodies, and the sheer calmness that swept over them like a hazy current forever.

"Who knew I'd be so crazy for the girl who accepted my juice boxes?" Jake whispered in her ear. The memory made her chuckle.

"I can't believe you're still here," she confessed. After everything that had happened, she wouldn't have blamed him for running to the hills and never looking back. He could have dumped her and blamed it on her Rodent status. But there they were, defying the odds with every day that passed.

"I'm never leaving," he reassured her, squeezing her tighter as if the notion proved his words true. "You're stuck with me."

Scarlet studied his eyes. A never ending ocean that threatened to drown her in its paradise. Then she smiled and whispered, "Good."

"