CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: THE DEVIL WE KNOW

🪘🪘🪘

THE DEVIL WE KNOW

I'd just stepped back into the house and shut the door after me when Chidera hurried her steps to me. "Kasie, where have you been?" She queried in a low but soft voice. I made any form of small reaction but reply to her. A part of me still felt a little upset about earlier. I knew she'd noticed because her eyes softened and her expression fell. Chidera looked back once before fixating her gaze on me.

"I'm sorry. That was a selfish thing of me to have said earlier. I need you to know that although I want all I'd mentioned but I never truly meant any of the words, I said to you. Your life is just as important as mine and... and..."

"Chidera, it's okay. Really, you don't need to explain any further. I understand, but I can't stop myself from feeling hurt. Don't worry... no one is going to die. I'll make sure of it." Where that speech really came from, I did not know, but I'd assured her my deepest thoughts and walked past her.

"Wait." She called, and the second I stopped; she'd ran to my front once more. "I need to tell you something." Chidera stated, her voice still low and soft, almost as if she didn't want to be heard. She spared a look back once more, and I wondered if she was hiding something.

"Kamalu is here." She said, and any expression I'd worn on my face fell as I drifted my eyes away from her. "I'm telling you because, maybe you'd want to hide... for now."

I shifted my gaze back to her. "Why would I want to hide?"

At first, Chidera barely opened her mouth, but no words would flow. "I thought maybe you aren't ready to face him yet."

"Is he here to force me into becoming his wife? Today?"

"I don't know, but I doubt because, he came alone and... he seems serious. It's weird looking at him after knowing what we know now."

Maybe this is it. Maybe this is the opportunity I need. Finally, I can have a talk with him, now that I know the reason he has been so adamant about having his way. I walked past Chidera without uttering a word more and made my way towards the living room.

"Please, we need a little more time. It's hard for Kasie to understand." Mum's voice and the mention of my name forced me to a halt.

"I believe I've been generous enough. You of all people should know what comes after." I walked into the living room just as he'd finished his sentence and they redirected their gaze and attention to me. For a second, I looked at mum, and uncle Chimdi before shifting my gaze to Kamalu. His expression was stern. Immediately, I recalled the story mum had shared and felt a sudden shiver run down my spine. Regardless, I knew I had to take this step.

"Can we talk in private?" I asked him.

"Again? I thought we're done with that. Now, it's time for action."

"Please... I won't take much of your time." I was quick to talk back, taking everything in me not to show the fear I was so desperately hiding inside. He stared back at me and his silence lasted before he suddenly stood to his feet and took the lead towards the exit.

I couldn't stop myself from looking at mum, a light frown was in between her brows. "What are you doing?" She asked in a fierce but low voice.

"I have to try something." I told her before hurrying away after Kamalu.

He was first to stop, deciding his present spot was perfect for the private conversation I asked of. Now, in front of him, it was hard to steady my gaze with his.

"I've been told you now know the reason our marriage must take place." He was first to speak up and the mention of the word marriage was enough for me to speak up.