CHAPTER NINE: TRUTH?

🪘🪘🪘

TRUTH?

A hand close to the door, I froze. Am I doing the right thing? Do I really want to find out what is going on? My hand fell back to my side as hesitation kicked in once more. I took a step back from the door, rubbing my hands together in nervousness. But I have to know the truth. I can't keep getting pieces of information here and there by unintentionally eavesdropping.

Right. My knuckles were close to the wooden door once more, ready to place a knock, and yet I stalled. I have to do this. Mum needs to know that becoming a spiritualist wife is out of any type of question for me. Everyone will have to accept my decision. Yes, and that much pep talk was enough for me to feel courageous enough to knock on her door.

"Yes, come in." Her voice anchored from within. I took in a deep breath before holding the handle and pushing the door open. The moment I went in, I caught sight of her seated on the bed. She had her reading glasses on and a few paper-works in her hands.

"Good afternoon, mum." I greeted, realising it was the first time I was seeing her today.

She smiled. "Are you finally tired of avoiding me?"

"I... I wasn't really avoiding you." I denied, and she raised a brow at me. Okay, maybe I was, and it wasn't my plan to let her know, so I cleared my throat. Time to get to what brought me here.

"Mum," I started and hurried my steps to her, taking a seat in the space beside her. "So, I've been thinking a lot about what you asked of me." The mention of that lit her face up. "I... I can't marry him. He's a stranger. He's... did you know he's into spiritual stuffs?"

"You mean native medicine?" She asked and answered herself, as she nodded. "It's not a big deal, Kasie. When you get to know him, you'll understand better."

"That's what I'm trying to tell you. I don't want to get to know him. I... I will not marry him." Finally, I declared and her expression dropped. Her face stern as she looked at me. Suddenly, she let out a light sigh, drifting her gaze elsewhere for a moment before they were back on me. I watched her take off her reading glasses, set the papers in her hand aside, and placed both hands on my arms.

"Listen, you're a woman and as a woman, we sacrifice for the greater good. That's what most of our responsibility includes. Do you like it as Chidera is tying the knot before you do? I'm not happy about the situation, but she's like a daughter to me and I want her to be happy." She paused. "There's no other way to say this... I love you, but if you do not marry Kamalu, then no one else will marry you and something very wrong will happen."

Slowly, a frown appeared on my face at her use of emphasis. Staring into her eyes, I could tell she meant every word, but I would rather believe she was joking.

"Think about it. We have little time left." She added, and her hands were down before she stood to her feet and eventually left me alone in the room.

I blinked a few times. It's nothing, she's simply trying to scare me, right? It has to be. A sigh left my lips as my shoulder slumped. I thought I'd sacrificed enough when I left my birthright to Junior. Apparently, no one took notice. This is not happening... maybe I should leave.

Immediately, I stood to my feet. Yes... that's what I should do since mum was refusing to listen to reason. I hurried out of the room and back to my room, took out my box, unzipped and began packing everything from the wardrobe, the dressing table, and the bathroom that belonged to me into it. I pressed hard and finally; it zipped close, then I stood it straight. Wait... how do I get a taxi to take me to the airport by this time, and wouldn't it be best to leave when no one's around?

Lightly, I bit my lower lip as I reasoned. Yes, I'm going to wait for the perfect time to leave... and also let Chidera know I might not attend her church wedding. I slumped to a seat on the bed, a loud sigh leaving my lips. Why is this happening to me?

* * *

I stared at the dark skies, realising the stars appeared a lot more glowing clearer than in the city. Even the moon was round and bright. Almost as if I could reach out to it. Perhaps because the village was less polluted than the city. Not sure, but it was pretty to watch. It took my mind off the problems that plagued my thoughts. The night was chilly and now, the idea of getting some fresh air away from the house, my room, seemed like one of my brightest. When I walked into the garden, I was a bit relieved Cergio had left. I was rude to him and wasn't sure how to react if I run into him again.

"They're pretty." I turned on impulse toward the familiar voice. Almost instantly, I looked away once I'd gotten a glance at who it was. The feeling of guilt gradually washed over me.

"Can I sit?" He asked politely and although I would prefer to pretend like I didn't hear him, I couldn't. Finally, I turned my head back in his direction and lifted my eyes to him.

"Yes, sure." I declared, while I nodded. He limped once more while walking up to me, and I drifted my gaze elsewhere, not wanting to seem like I was staring.

"I'm sorry." His apology made me turn my head back to him, surprised that he'd apologised. "I guess I came on too strong, urging you to talk about your problems and talking about how much of a help I want to be... I do that a lot. Perhaps, I should have thought harder about your feelings."

I shook my head almost instantly at his words.

"To be honest, I'm not upset. I... I'm not sure why I reacted the way I did. For that, I apologise. You were only trying to help." I stated, before flashing a faint smile. He did the same as he nodded in understanding.

"So, friends?" He asked with a hand stretched out for a handshake, and I accepted it. His hand was warm, firm, and larger compared to mine.

"Friends." I stated, the smile on my face broadening, and so did his. Smiling like idiots, neither of us let go of the handshake. I would once he does, but he didn't and so I didn't. Suddenly, he stopped as if snapping out of a trance and that was enough wake up call for me as well. So together, we released each other's hold and reluctantly looked away from each other. This felt awkward, but also I liked it. His presence. So, I picked a glance at him and caught sight of him, barely rubbing the knee of his bad leg. I felt curious and couldn't look away.

"It's okay. You can ask me anything about my leg." He stated without looking in my direction. Clearly, somehow, he'd seen me staring. I fell loss for words and even more so when he lifted his eyes back to me.

"It's a testimony I'm always grateful to share." Cergio added, another one of his faint smiles appearing at the side of his mouth, and as I stared at him, I realized how mature he was. Maybe it's because he's a minister of God, or maybe he's simply nice. Either way, he was different. I've never met a man who was as humble as he was and ever rarely takes offence easily. He was ideal to look at and sees me as an equal human and not just a woman that should be submissive.

Oh my God... Great! Chidera was right. I am interested in him.