never looking down (part 1)

Taylor sighed, stirring a spoon lazily around in her coffee. The sounds of other's chatter filled her ears as she caught every other word of the conversations of the day to day people stopping by this little cafe. She caught a few words of a couple sitting by her who appeared to be on their first date and thought back the memories of three years before, to the dot.

The bittersweet story had long since gathered dust, but Taylor still thought about it often, like a comforting movie you return to when you need a bit of support or hope. And she honored the anniversary of that day each year by returning to the coffee shop in the subconscious hope he would be there too.

Three years now it had been the same. She'd show up just past 9:00 in a new dress she bought just for the occasion. She'd give herself a jump scare, thinking she spotted that familiar blonde hair in front of her in line, or those enticing blue eyes staring at her from across the room. And then she'd remind herself he was gone, and then would swear she spotted him at least three more times, because her mind wanted to believe it.

Most of the time in those fateful coffee shop trips was spend daydreaming. The one day a year she'd allow herself to wonder what he thought of that relationship. If he even remembered it, and if he did, if it had had as big an impact on him as it had on her.

The things she would do to go back to that day...

september 28, 2011, 9 a.m. (4 years earlier)

A day to herself. Just what she needed after all of the drama that had gone on in her life recently. The coffee shop down the street, the one he had always refused to go to, was exactly where she felt she needed to start the day.

She joined the line right behind a man with blonde hair, and spent the wait looking around at the people seated sipping at their drinks, or standing as they waited for their order. Imagining what stories other people had, what their reasons were for being at the same place Taylor was, had always been a hobby for Taylor. It was cathartic to remind herself that everyone around her had a complex yet normal life, just as she did.

"Hi, what can I get for you today?" the barista asked when Taylor approached the counter. She was wearing a navy blouse with white polka dots, and Taylor smiled warmly at her.

"I'd like a vanilla latte, please," Taylor said, taking her credit card out of her purse.

"Name?"

"Taylor." She paid for the drink and walked away to the area where other customers were waiting for their drinks. As usual, she planned to spend the time people watching. However, fate would see differently.

"I like your dress."

Taylor was wearing a lavender dress she'd picked up recently at the shops. The top was lace, and the skirt was pleated.

The man who was talking to her was the man she'd been waiting in line behind earlier. He had a British accent and the most electrifying blue eyes Taylor had ever seen.

"Blondes in lavender is a work of art," the British boy said. "Though I'm sure you look dashing in any color."

"Thank you," Taylor said, startled somewhat by this stranger. "But I'm really not looking for a boyfriend right now. I just got out of a year long relationship-"

"Hey hey hey, who said anything about a boyfriend? I just complimented your dress," he said, holding his hands up and raising his eyebrows.

"Oh," Taylor blushed. She couldn't believe she'd actually thought this boy was hitting on her. She never thought like that.

"Order for Joe!"

The blonde man, evidently called Joe, stepped up and took a cup from the counter, smiling briefly at the woman standing behind it. He stepped back, standing next to Taylor. She chose not to ask why he was still waiting if he had his drink already.

handprints on my soul - jaylor oneshotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara