it's nice to have a friend (part 1)

age 5

"Taylor, are you excited for your first day of kindergarten?" Andrea asked her daughter.

"Yeah!" Taylor replied eagerly, twisting the straps of her backpack around her hands.

"Go stand over there so I can take a picture, and then we'll start on our walk, okay?" Andrea instructed.

Taylor did as told, flashing her cute little child smile and posing for the camera so her mom could snap a quick picture.

"Aright, honey, let's go," said Andrea, and the pair walked out of the door.

When they arrived at the elementary school, it was bustling with first day activities, kids eager and shy alike walking through the halls with their parents in tow. Taylor and Andrea walked hand in hand to the classroom.

As soon as Taylor saw the other kids in her class, she became very excited. She loved meeting new people and making friends, and everyone here looked like they would be a good friend.

"Are you Ms. Larson?" Andrea asked a tall dark skinned woman standing at the door of the classroom.

"I am! Is this your daughter?" Ms. Larson replied with a smile.

"Yeah, she is. Introduce yourself, Tay," Andrea said.

"Hi! I'm Taylor Swift, and I'm five years old," Taylor said, shaking the hand of the teacher as she had seen her parents do with adults they had just met.

"It's very nice to meet you, Taylor. I'm Ms. Larson, I'll be your teacher for the year. Are you excited for school?"

"Yes! I can't wait to make friends!" said Taylor, nodding eagerly.

Chuckling, Ms. Larson stood back up from the bent over position she had used to talk to Taylor. "Why don't I show you to where Taylor will be sitting, and where she can put her stuff?" she said.

"Oh, that would be wonderful," Andrea said. "Come on, Taylor. Listen carefully."

"Back here in these cubbies is where you can put your backpack and lunchbox. See this one that has your name on it?" Taylor nodded. "That's where you put them each morning, so they stay out of the way while we're learning. You can put them down now, if you'd like."

Andrea helped Taylor put her stuff in the little cubby, and then followed Ms. Larson to a desk in the front haf of the room. It was second in its row and third from the left, which made it just a row off center, and Taylor's name was on a sticker at the top.

"So this will be your desk for the time being," Ms. Larson explained, setting her hands on the fake wood. "We might move you around later once we get a better feel of your personality, but for now you'll be sitting here during class."

"Okay!" said Taylor, smiling brightly, excitement lighting up her eyes.

"Well, that's all I have to show you. Do either of you have any more questions?" Ms. Larson asked.

Taylor shook her head no, then looked up at her mom to see her doing the same.

"It was great to meet you," Andrea said. "I need to be off to work now, so Taylor, will you be okay here until class starts? It should start soon."

"Yeah, Mommy," Taylor said, grinning up at her mother.

"Okay," Andrea said, bending down to give her daughter a quick kiss on the forehead. "I'll see you this afternoon, sweetheart. Have a good day!"

"Bye Mama!" Taylor said, and watched her mom leave out of the classroom door.

"Right, Taylor, why don't you talk to some of the other students for a few minutes, and I'll tell you all when it's time to take your seat," Ms. Larson said.