this love is ours

The sky was grey and cloudy, and a slight drizzle was in the forecast. Taylor looked up at the office building, dark grey and similar to all the others in the city. She took a breath as she looked over it, breathing in the cold morning air. Boring and the same as always.

But today was different. Today wasn't like all the other days. Taylor walked with an extra spring in her step, unable to keep a small smile from her lips. She had bags slung from her shoulders and a pile of folders in her arms as she walked into the office, her dark grey skirt suit matching the bland decor of the building. Sometimes she wished she could wear something happier, but everyone else wore stuff just as plain, so she learned to live with it.

When she'd first come to work here, she'd made an attempt to greet everyone with a "Good morning!" or "How are you?", but had found that people seemed to want to keep to themselves. She hurriedly flashed her corporate ID to the man at the front desk, who barely even gave her a nod in response.

"Hey Chuck!" she smiled, stopping to talk to the janitor as she walked to the elevator. He seemed to be the only one in this office that wasn't a lifeless shell.

"Taylor! You're looking extra nice today. Something exciting happening?" Chuck asked with a cheerful smile.

"Joe's coming home," She grinned, her eyes lighting up.

"Oh! Well, how could I forget?" Chuck laughed. "He's a lucky man to come home to you."

Taylor beamed, letting her emotions really shine through. "I'm so excited," she said happily.

"You should be. It's an exciting day," Chuck said warmly. "Have a nice work day, Taylor. Don't let the grey get you down."

"I'll try not to," Taylor replied. "Have a great day, Chuck," she said, then spun on her heel to walk to the elevator.

Her smile was gone by the time she stepped onto the elevator, already crowded with people. She clutched her belongings close, just wanting the day to be over with already so she could hug Joe again.

Everyone was quiet, staring vacantly into space. She had worked with these people for months now, yet she didn't know their names because no one had ever bothered to introduce themselves. Their silence made her consider taking the stairs, because even the thirteen flight journey might be better than this. But she was already trapped inside, so all she could do was wait, and wonder just how these people could be so incredibly boring.

Taylor had never experienced an elevator ride longer than these ones. She could cover so many thoughts and ideas in just the short period of time. Most of today's thoughts were about Joe.

Soon enough, her time would be his, and they could do everything they hadn't been able to for so long. They could laugh together about her boring workplace, tell stories of their time apart, and play with little Meredith, who wasn't so little anymore.

The elevator finally landed on the thirteenth floor and the doors slid open. Before Taylor could step out, everyone else made a rush for it, and Taylor felt herself get slammed into by nearly everyone in the elevator. She swallowed and rolled her eyes before getting out as well and heading to her office space.

The very atmosphere was sad, with all the divided up spots and people working separately in their cubicals. Taylor felt almost defeated as she walked through to her space, dragging her feet along with every step.