coffee at midnight & burnt toast sundays

With her hands wrapped around the mug for warmth, Taylor steadily breathed in the scent of freshly brewed coffee as she sat on her couch. It was nearing noon, but the woman was still in her pajamas, grey sweatpants and an oversized pale blue shirt.

She looked out the large, open window of her apartment that overlooked New York City and admired the snow as it fell perfectly from the sky, creating a scene reminiscent of a snow globe. Below her, she was just able to see the sidewalk in front of her building, and just thinking of the moments there before he'd dropped her off made her smile.

What a beautiful night they'd spent together, the loveliness of which spread even into the morning. It was a shame it had to draw to a close.

Taylor leaned her head against the back if the couch, shutting her eyes and willing herself to travel back in time to their evening dinner date before, where it all began.

The night before

She felt a wave of relief rush over when he walked into the restaurant. He wasn't late–in fact, he was there two minutes before their agreed meeting time. She was simply early. And he'd never, ever been late before. But even that fact couldn't stop her from worrying.

"Hey," she greeted with a smile.

"Hi," Joe smiled sweetly back. "It's nice to see you again. You look lovely. I love your hair like that." He hung his jacket on the back of his chair before sitting down.

Taylor was unable to help the smile that crept onto her face. Her hair was down and loose in natural waves that cascaded down her back. It was nothing special, but Joe could make Taylor feel like a princess no matter what she looked like.

"Thank you," she said. "You look pretty handsome yourself. That shirt really brings out your eyes."

"I thought of you when I chose it," Joe said. "I remembered you saying how much you liked this color on me."

Another smile crept across Taylor's lips. It was touching that he remembered such a small detail of a conversation that had happened weeks ago.

"I got you a little something," Joe said, reaching his hand into his pocket. He set a jewelry box on the table, the kind Taylor recognized to hold necklaces.

"Ooh, what's this?" Taylor asked, reaching out and resting her nails, painted light blue, on the beige box.

"Open it," Joe grinned.

Taylor lifted the lid off the box to reveal a silver necklace with a small music note charm that dangled from the end. She smiled, placing the charm on the tip of her finger to look closer at it. There were small diamond chips dotting the music note, making it sparkle.

"I saw it in the shop the other day and instantly thought of you," Joe said. "Nothing much, just thought you might enjoy it."

"I love it, Joe," Taylor smiled happily, taking it out of the box. "Help me put it on?" She handed him the necklace and pulled her hair away.

"My pleasure," Joe said, clasping it around her neck.

Taylor reached up to feel it, and fiddled slightly with the charm while grinning at Joe.