christmases with you

just some short stories of tay and joe's christmases over the years :)

✰✰✰✰✰

"Put that... right there," Taylor said to Joe, directing him to an empty branch on the Christmas tree.

"Did we really need a third tree?" asked Joe as he placed his final candy cane on the evergreen branch.

"You can never have too many Christmas trees," Taylor responded. She took the absolute last candy cane they had and hung it on a branch. "And... perfect. Look!"

The couple stood back and admired their work on the miniature Christmas tree they had picked up that morning. It was Christmas Eve, and Taylor had sporadically decided that they needed one more Christmas tree for their bedroom, so that was what they had done.

"It does look lovely," Joe said with a small smile. "You certainly have a knack with Christmas tree decorating."

"It's in my blood," Taylor giggled, kissing Joe's cheek. She then turned back to the Christmas tree, sighed contently. It was decorated solely with tinsel and candy canes, aside from one lone picture frame ornament, which contained a black and white photo of her and Joe kissing. It was very Pinterest.

"Our first Christmas," Joe said, wrapping his arms around Taylor and looking at the tree with her.

"And far from our last," Taylor continued, allowing herself to melt into Joe's touch.

"How about we go watch some Christmas movies?" Joe suggested. "I'll make some hot cocoa."

"That sounds wonderful," smiled Taylor. She softly kissed Joe before she slipped out of his grasp. He went to the kitchen to make the hot chocolate as promised, while Taylor changed into a holiday onesie and collected blankets for them to cuddle with on the couch.

She was just clicking on the television when Joe walked in, two steaming cups of chocolatey goodness in his hands.

"For you, m'lady," Joe presented, handing one of the mugs to Taylor.

"This looks magical," she beamed at him after seeing the drink Joe had prepared. Whipped cream, sprinkled with mini marshmallows and Christmas colored sprinkles, a candy cane to stir it with.

"I like to think that while I may not have mastered the art of Christmas tree decorating, I can make a scrumptious cup of hot chocolate," Joe grinned.

"We balance each other out perfectly," said Taylor. She took a sip of the warm drink, whcih she wanted to keep in her mouth forever it was so good.

"We surely do," Joe agreed, a little smirk on his lips.

"What?" Taylor asked, smiling unsurely.

"You have whipped cream on your lip," Joe told her softly. "Let me get that for you." He leaned in slowly, kissing her gently.

"You're such a dork," Taylor whispered lovingly.

"I'm your dork," Joe said.

Taylor smiled widely. "That you are."

-
the next year

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Joe asked Taylor once more.

"I find it insulting that you doubt me," Taylor responded, continuing to follow Joe's family down the path.

"It's really, really cold," Joe reminded her. They were at Hampstead Heath, a London park where Joe's family had made the tradition of jumping in the pond every year on Christmas Day.