| 6 |

Third Person's POV

Millie was waiting anxiously next to the radio. Peggy had radioed the news that Steve had gotten onto Schmidt's plane, but that's the last she had heard.

Then, after what felt like an eternity to Millie, Steve's voice came through the radio. "Come in, this is Captain Rogers. Do you read me?" Millie rushed to the radio.

"Captain Rogers, what is your..." Another man's voice came through the radio, but was interrupted. Then Peggy's voice appeared. "Steve, is that you? Are you all right?"

"Peggy, Schmidt's dead!" Steve announced, which relieved the young girl. The relief would not last long, though.

"What about the plane?" Peggy questioned. "That's a little bit tougher to explain." Steve responded.

"Give me your coordinates. I'll find you a safe landing site." Peggy spoke. "There's not going to be a safe landing. But I can try to force it down." Steve told her.

Millie couldn't just sit there listening anymore, so she pressed the button so she could speak to them. "No, Dad, let me get Howard. He'll know what to do."

"Millie? There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast and it's heading for New York. I got to put her in the water." Steve explained and Millie shook her head in defiance, although she knew no one could see her.

"No, please don't do this." Millie's voice sounded strangled as she tried to keep herself from falling apart. "Millie's right. We have time. We can work it out." Peggy spoke up, agreeing with Steve's daughter.

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die. Millie, Peggy, this is my choice." Steve told them as tears started streaming down Millie's face. She sat down on the floor, knowing that she had a tendency to have her legs give out on her when she heard devastating news.

"I don't want to be alone." Millie's voice was weak and cracking, and Steve could tell she was crying, which broke his heart.

"You won't be. I've made sure of it. I'm sorry that you have to lose me and Bucky right after each other, but I promise you won't be alone." Steve told her. Millie didn't know what he meant by his words, but they did make her cry harder and she let out a sob as she clutched onto Bucky's dog tags which hung around her neck.

"Peggy, I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance." Steve said. "All right. A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club. Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understand?" Peggy responded.

"I'll be there." Steve agreed and paused for a few moments before he spoke up again. "I love you, Emilia."

"I love you too, Daddy." Millie replied, letting out a quiet sob. She was met by only silence. making her freeze in her spot in fear. Even her sobs stopped for a moment, though tears continued to fall down her cheeks.

"Dad? Dad, are you there?" Millie questioned but there was no response. She waited another few moments before accepting that the silence meant he made it into the water. This just made her sob harder as she put the walkie-talkie part of the radio down.

Howard had been passing by in the halls when he heard her sobs. He rushed in the room and stopped short when he saw her on the floor, sobbing with her legs pulled up to her chest. His heart fell at the sight and what he assumed it meant.

"Oh, kid..." He said before going over and sitting down next to her on the floor. He pulled her into him and she bunched his shirt in her fists as she sobbed into his chest. He wrapped an arm around her comfortingly and just let her continue to sob into his arms for as long as she needed.