| 2 |

Third Person's POV

When she found out the next morning that Steve had gotten approved to join the army and was leaving to go to a training camp within the next few days, Millie felt as if everyone in her life was leaving her.

Steve tried to reassure her that he'd be back soon, but she wasn't having it. She was too focused on her worries for him and Bucky and the question of where she was going to stay in the meantime.

Turns out, Bucky had asked one of his sisters if they could look after her in the off-chance that Steve got accepted into the army. So Millie ended up moving and living with her for a little while.

That is, until Steve showed up on the doorstep one day. There was a knock on the door and Millie opened it to reveal her father.

"Dad!" Millie exclaimed and threw her arms around him in a hug. Steve hugged his daughter, happy to see her again since this was the first time they had ever been separated for a significant amount of time.

"Hey, Mils." Steve said, hugging her back. "What are you doing back so soon? Did things not go well?" Millie questioned, pulling back, and Steve nodded for them to go inside to talk.

"Listen, kid, there's something I have to tell you. I have been chosen to take part in an experiment that should make me into a super soldier. I'm not exactly sure what that will look like – nor does anyone else – but I thought you should know. And I wanted to ask if you'd like to come watch." Steve told Millie, who needed a few moments to take in the information.

"A super soldier?" Millie repeated and Steve nodded in confirmation. "Yes, and it's happening today. Actually we're on our way now, but I had to stop and talk to you first."

"Well, my plan for the day was to sit here and worry about you and Bucky, but I guess I can go and watch and worry about you and Bucky from there." Millie said, only half-joking.

Steve smiled. "Great. I'll go tell Rebecca that you're coming with me for the day." Steve said and proceeded to go find Bucky's sister in the apartment and quickly tell her that he was taking Millie for the day.

"Okay, come on." Steve said as he walked into the room. Millie followed him out of the apartment and down to a car that was waiting. There was a woman in the backseat already and Steve climbed in the middle seat so Millie could sit on the other side.

"Is this Emilia?" The woman asked as the car started moving. The young girl nodded. "Millie." She told her and the woman held out her hand for her to shake. "I'm Agent Margaret Carter, but you can call me Peggy."

Millie shook the woman's hand. "It's nice to meet you." The young girl told her and Peggy smiled as Millie pushed her hair behind her ears, revealing a scar that was most often hidden from sight. "It's nice to meet you too. I like your –" Peggy tapped the temple of her own head. "It's very neat."

Millie dragged her fingers over the temple of her head where a lighting bolt-shaped birthmark was. "Thanks." She responded.

The car drove for a little while longer before Steve spoke up. "We know this neighbourhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." He told Peggy. Millie glanced down at her hands. She didn't like the reminder of her dad getting hurt.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy asked him and Steve shook his head a little before looking up at her. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?" Steve explained and Millie glanced over at him. She had never heard him explain it like that before.