Chapter One

"Abi, where the hell are you?" Savannah called from my living room.

"In here!" She blew into my room like a hurricane. Her long red hair was curled and pinned into a loose updo. Her shapely body, barely wrapped in a leopard print dress that accentuated her most desirable features. On her feet were a pair of black stilettos with red bottoms, making her taller than me.

"Are you ready to go?" She huffed.

"Does it look like I'm ready to go, Sav?" I was still in my black pencil skirt and white blouse that I wore to my interview today. Which I nailed, by the way. Savannah is taking me out to celebrate landing a position at Figgins Law Association (or FLA for short). FLA is one of the best law firms in the city, and for a recently graduated law student like myself, getting a position there is almost impossible. Yet, somehow, by the grace of God, I landed one. It is only part-time, and I'm probably just a glorified intern, but I am beyond looking forward to it.

"If you are, we need to have a serious talk about your wardrobe choices." I giggled and rolled my eyes. I headed into my closet, where I finally decided on a short cobalt blue dress with bedazzled spaghetti straps and a sweetheart neckline. I grabbed some sparkly, strappy heels and headed to the bathroom to fix my hair and makeup. Once I was ready to go l, I walked into the kitchen where Savannah was sitting at the bar munching on a bag of chips.

"Remind me again why I let you have a key to my place." I grabbed the bag of chips and put them up.

"Because you love me, duh."

"Yeah, and only God knows why."

"Oh Abi, you know you can't live without me. We've only been best friends for our entire lives."

"You're right, as usual. Now can we go?" Savannah's mom has been best friends with my mom since college. Shortly after I was born, she conceived, so Savannah and I are approximately ten months apart. Naturally, we grew up together and have been inseparable our whole lives. Even when I went off to law school and, Savannah stayed here to study nursing, we remained close. She is like my other half.; my sister in every way except blood.

Once we arrived at the club, Savannah made a beeline to the bar. As I followed behind her, I noticed all the eyes watching after her. She was the kind of girl that made every head turn without even trying. All eyes were on her at all times, and she acted like she didn't even notice them. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not ugly by any means, but I'm not a ten. My stomach isn't flat, I have C cup breasts, and I don't have a whole lot of junk in the trunk. I didn't mind, though. Savannah, with all of her confidence, has helped me have some of my own.

"Pick your poison, babycakes." Ugh. Why does she have to call me that?

"Do you really have to call me that?"

"Of course I do."

"Why?"

"Because I know you hate it." I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to the barkeep, who was patiently waiting for my drink order.

"I'll have vodka soda, please." He nodded and went to fix our drinks. I turned my back to the bar and scanned the atmosphere. It was considerably empty for a Saturday night, but it was still early. I watched a few people on the dance floor bust their moves and laughed when one of them started doing the robot. There were a few more people scattered around the club. Either at booths or hovering around the dance floor, sipping on their drinks. But no one, in particular, caught my eye. I turned back to Savannah.

"I guess all the hotties haven't arrived yet, because I don't see anyone I like."

"Oh, please. We both know that even if you did, you wouldn't do anything about it."