Chapter 14: My Secret

Akin

"Akin, we love you very much, but you aren't our child." My mother had said.

"We took you from your parents after you were born so we could raise you," My father continued as they both put an arm around me. I looked at Lindsay, who sat outside the door, as a tear slipped from my face.

She had kept my secret our whole life, but I needed to hear her say it now that Kinsley was gone.

I remember a feeling of shock, just like anyone would feel when they learned that the two people they thought they could trust more than anyone told them they had been lying your whole life. Now that I was older, I realized that I had been a business transaction between my birth parents and Lindsay's parents, a form of payment for something. That still stung. Lindsay finally learned the truth about her parents, whereas I knew nothing of mine.

"What?" I asked after I had finally processed that she had left without us.

"The," Bex said.

"Heck," Kai finished.

I turned to look at the two of them. The look on their faces was of complete shock, something I hadn't seen on them often.

"I knew  there was no way you were just siblings!" Kai pointed his finger at me, accusingly. He sounded like he had just cracked the most secure code.

"Shut up man," was my only reply.

Beckett looked between the two of us, then spoke. "I don't know about you, but based off of this island, I'm not letting Lindsay walk around alone out here."

"You're right," Kai said as he shook the look of shock from his face.

"Yeah." I replied. "We better go." Kai and I started to take a step forward, but Bex put his arms out to stop us.

 "Listen to me," he said. "Lindsay is obviously upset at the two of you. You two need to get along with her and quit fighting over her like she's a joke. Put your differences aside or you're both going to lose the girl."

I looked over at Kai, who stuck his hand out for me to shake. I was still mad at him, but Bex was right. Lindsay was difficult and I didn't want to lose her. Especially to this idiot.

"Deal." I stormed ahead of them, not even bothering to shake Kai's hand. There was no proof he was a good guy and I wasn't going to deal with it.

"Man, looks like the drama with your girl just got more intense," Beckett said to Kai, thinking I couldn't hear him.

"I heard that!" I called behind me. "Wait." My walking ceased.

"What is it?" Bex asked as he and Kai caught up to me.

"She still has the map."

"Do you think that she's going to follow it?"

"If I know my sis-, er, Lindsay, sorry, my sister." I spoke, unsure of myself. She had called me her brother, but I didn't know what she wanted me to refer to her as now. "If I know Lindsay, which I do, then yes." I said to him, this time I was desperate. I knew what Lindsay was capable of. Her reckless nature could end up being a problem.

"Where would she go?" Beckett asked. "Like where would she be on this island?"

"I don't know, if you weren't aware, someone stole me away from my sister," I said jokingly, but I seriously needed to find Lindsay before she did something stupid.

"Maybe Kai would know?" Bex asked. "Kai?"

The two of us looked around for him, but came to the same conclusion. Kai was gone.