Chapter 14 - Thank You

Start from the beginning

Baji... he is a person too. A person that I've started to love spending time with... A person I want to talk to more.. A person.... A person I admire. I DON'T WANT TO BE JUST A RANDOM STRANGER PASSING BY EVERYONE'S LIVES. I WANT TO LIVE! I WANT TO HELP EVERYONE. I want to.. see smiles on everyone's faces.. Not as a character I loved... but as their friend..

Takemicchi.. were you going through all this alone? You're really so amazing... The pain of wanting to save someone. The grief of watching your loved ones die in front of you several times. The feeling of helplessness... But.. you never really gave up, did you? You could have just as easily fallen into the lines of "I know their future so I'm not gonna get involved." But you didn't.. You always tried hard to change the future, not only for Hina, but for everyone you have come to call your friends. I respect you.

"Takemicchi..." I call out.

"Aoi-san?" He answers.

"A..Aoi?" A faint voice murmurs. 

"Can you please pass the earpiece to Baji-san?" 

.

.

"Suzuki! I thought I'd never get to talk to you again." A voice slightly chuckles.

"I told you I would kill you if you die, didn't I?"

"Eh~ Is that what you say to a dying person?" I can almost hear his smile through the device.

"You won't die. I called the ambulance, and they will come soon. So till then, you can't die. I don't permit you to die." I reply, feeling a lump in my throat as I swallow back the tears in my eyes.

"It's about time Suzuki, I'm starting to hallucinate.." He replies in a quiet voice.

"...."

"Suzuki Aoi... Thanks for brightening up the last few days of my life. I'm really happy to have met you." 

"Baji Keisuke! Don't die on me... please.. I listened to your favour last time right? So do the same for me this time. I'm begging you.. please.. p-please." I feel my voice quivering.

"Every time we met, we always ate Peyoung Yakisoba. I never got to ask what you like." He says, completely ignoring my favour.

"Ichigo Daifuku.."

"Is that the reason why you smell like strawberries?" He chuckles, but starts coughing soon after.

"Baji-san... you need to stop talking now. The ambulance will be here soon. You'll get treated and then we can talk a lot more after that! I'll let you buy me daifuku as a compensation for all the times I've bought Yakisoba for you!" I say, my voice getting louder and louder.

.

.

"I just.. I just wanted to know more about my favourite stranger." He laughs"I didn't want to die knowing almost nothing about you.. I didn't want us to be just strangers.."

....

'I love you.'  Those were the words Baji wanted to say, but couldn't bring himself to. He didn't want to burden the girl with the love of a dying man. 'She deserves better.'