A Little While Later

"The kids are alright, " I said to Katrina as we get settled again.
       "Da. What are they doing?"
       "They're building forts," I said as I smiled. Katrina smiled back. I was always a little taken aback when she smiles. She is always the very hostile, dangerous, protective Russian that rarely ever showed genuine emotions.
       Yet here she is, showing you true emotions, said a voice in the back of my mind.  I shake it off. I grin even wider, knowing I found a new friend. A good friend. Hopefully nothing would be able to mess up this friendship....

----‐-------------Katrina POV-------------

       I stare at Janet whilst she's not looking. I don't know why, but I was infatuated with her. It also didn't help that she could read me. I saw her thoughts in her eyes. She knows how I rarely show genuine emotion, yet here we both were. I shake it off.
       "Just shake it off Katrina. You barely even know her. She is probably straight and either way she is married," I whispered to myself. It didn't work out very well. I wince as I feel a pain in my heart, a hole opening up at the bottom of my stomach.
       "No Katrina you can't. She is unattainable. She will never love you back, and besides we both just started getting to know each other!" I thought. My palms became sweaty, but I regain control of myself. I imagine wrestling bears in woods.
       "Da, much better," I say out loud, thinking I was alone.
       "What's much better?" asks Janet. I jumps back onto the couch, looking shocked.

----------------Narrative POV-------------

       "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Janet says.
       "Da, it's fine!"
        The two women look at each other. Janet was the first to smile, and Katrina returns the smile.
       "By God it's getting late. I'd better get going. I'm sorry I couldn't share parenting tips with you. But maybe tomorrow?" asks Katrina, not daring to let the hopefulness in her voice show. It didn't.
       Janet grins, "We can drop the kids off at Chad's while we go to the bar."
       "Who is Chad?"
        "Riley's uncle. So do we have a deal?"
         "Sure. We can drop kids off at Chad's around 6:30."
         "Sounds like a plan, assuming he will babysit."
         "Da don't worry about that. I can convince him if he is reluctant, " Katrina says. Her breath smelt of alcohol. She was starting to sway.
       "Katrina you're a mess. How about you stay the night? The boys can sleep with Riley, and you could either have the guest bedroom or sleep with me tonight."
        Katrina thinks for a moment before nodding. Janet smiles and informs the boys that they are staying the night. All three toddlers were thrilled.
        Katrina has a bottle of vodka in her hand when Janet returned, and she was chugging it. Janet rolls her eyes and gently takes the bottle away.
          "No-" *hiccup* "I want more," Katrina hiccups again, slurring her words. Janet rolls her eyes and helps Katrina into her bed. Janet was about to leave and go to the guest bedroom when she heard Katrina say something.
       "Wait," she whispered.
        "Yes Katrina?"
        "Can you stay with me please?"
        Janet is confused at this request, and it must've shown because Katrina quickly launches into an explanation.
        "I just don't like being alone when I know I don't have to be. It's entirely up to you though. I just like having company," she whisperer, tears brimming her eyes.
        Janet sighs and crawls in bed with Katrina. She turned her back to the Russain's face. Janet was sure the alcohol was making Katrina like this, it had to be the alcohol.... right?

-------------------Katrina POV------------------

      I silently grill myself. I barely even knew Janet, yet I felt surges of protectiveness towards her. I wanted to keep her safe.
       Janet gives me a lopsided smile, then says, "I suppose someone has to help take care of you. Here."
       Janet tosses me a baggy t-shirt and some shorts. She excuses herself for me to get changed.  It was a little Mix LM5 shirt. I smiled. Little Mix was secretly my favorite band.
        Janet comes back and smiles. I smile back and get in bed, she gets in with me. We just lay there in comfortable silence, giving each other space as we drift off to sleep.

---------A few months later: Narrative POV-------------

       Janet and Katrina drunkenly laugh together while Carol and Amy roll their eyes. Katrina was spinning Janet on a spinny chair.
       "This is soooooo muchhhhhhh funnnnnnn Katrinaaaaaaaa," Janet slurs.
        Katrina was much more sober than Janet, so she just smiled. It's been a few months now, and a simple crush had turned into something much bigger. She hated it. She hated how she loved Janet.
        Katrina realizes she was staring at the ground, a look of sadness on her face as Carol and Amy look at her with concern. Even Janet in her drunken state knew something was wrong.
        "Katrina? Are you alright?" asks Janet, she slurs a little, but manages to hold herself together for her best friend.
        "Da. I was just missing the boys. It's getting late anyhow," Katrina said.
       "She's right," Carol said, her southern accent thick.
       "Yeah, but I don't want to leave right now. Katrina can you pick up Riley from Chad's as well? Bring her to my place tomorrow?" Janet asks.
       "Sure. How will you get home?" Katrina asks.
       Janet shrugs, and Katrina sighs. She gave her best friend a hug before walking out to her car.

A/N: heyyyyy y'all. ik these chapters are short but I plan on trying to at least do 2 a day, there is a reason for this I promise. I hope yall are enjoying this so far as I certainly love writing it. lemme know any suggestions you have! thanks! next chapter should be out at around 12 am Eastern