39

Mirna cornered the duo a couple of nights after they had returned from the Mr Evans' trip to the main city.

Earlier that day, Ballqis had videocalled the senior to let her have a few moments with T7. The telepathic fish was more active than usual at the sight of Mirna. Mirna even made sign language for 'I miss you' to the tilapia.

"I still feel I should start the preparations to move Babyfish," Mirna said.

When she saw his erratic swim, Mirna was entirely convinced that the animal was scared. She begged Iqball and Ballqis to let her into the lab during their next shift.

"We can't let you in, Mirna. Micah said Mrs Jogh just upgraded the video surveillance equipment at both labs," Ballqis said.

Mirna's shoulders dropped.

"We will keep an eye in case green stickers emerged on any of the tanks," promised Iqball.

"His tail was shaking too much. It's a weird kind of shake that I've come to recognise as fear. The first time I saw him do that was when my shift partner said he ate tilapia at a Vietnamese restaurant because he found it so weird that Mrs Jogh was this passionate about the species. He said they tasted nice, but he couldn't understand why each fish inside the lab would cost so much when his meal was a $9.99 dish," Mirna shared.

"Well, Mrs Jogh did once said that tilapias are getting bad rep because they are sometimes farmed in dirty water and therefore retain toxins in their bodies. She said the species had so much potential..." Ballqis tried but then trailed when she saw Micah heading towards their table.

The senior was walking so fast but they managed to halt conversation in time.

"Hey Mirna, telling these kids about your fish?" Micah straightaway prodded.

"Shut up, Micah," was the reply he got. Mirna wasn't happy at all by his butting in.

"The fish are all still swimming happily. None of them has held a picket over soy pellets just yet," Micah added, laughing at his own joke.

"I've had a few soy protesters," Mirna quickly snapped.

Ballqis could not help but feel sorry for Mirna. But Micah even claimed the seat next to Iqball so that he could face the redhead.

"So have I, Micah. Some of the fish wouldn't touch those nasty pellets on some days. But we weren't talking about soy pellets, actually," Ballqis tried to sooth things.

Micah stopped laughing.

"Alright, alright. Please don't let me interrupt. Carry on, carry on," Micah said, not quite apologetically. And he did not even get up from the seat next to Iqball.

"Next time just mind your own business, Micah. Ballqis and Iqball happened to be Terry Pratchett's fans. His books are fascinating stuff. But I don't suppose you know what we're talking about at all, because you happen to be devoid of imagination," Mirna dissed.

"So was the talking fish part of your magnificent head's imagination then?" Micah rebutted with ease, pointing his sharp nose nearer to the seething girl besides Ballqis.

The fiery redhead grit her teeth. Iqball and Ballqis knew she was trying her hardest not to blast another comment, but she did look capable of giving Micah a tight slap across his cheeks.

"Yo, Micah, fourth person to arrive buys coffee. We were just talking about someone would show up and replenish our cups. Since you're keen on joining..." Iqball said as he clap his senior's back.

Micah let up his stare.

"Aw, Micah. I was thirsty for another latte," Ballqis joined in and held her cup up.