36

They managed to avoid the lab and T7 till the following Tuesday, where the fish suddenly boomed a question.

Why are you both so concerned about me and the fish next to me?

Iqball was still mopping the floor. Ballqis was about to finish cleaning the toilet. They both stilled with cleaning apparatus still in their hands.

The double tank had already been placed at a spot near Mrs Jogh's desk, which was visible to the two rows of singular fish tanks, of which five had been emptied.

What's going to happen in that big tank?

T7's voice boomed once again in their heads.

Ballqis quickly shut the toilet door, hoping to create a barrier between herself and the scaly mind-reader.

 Iqball quickly pushed the mop towards Tank 7. 

Hey dude, you can hear me, right? He said silently to the fish as he approached.

Speak, please. I hear you better when you speak. The fish requested, his tone almost pleading.

They're gonna place you in that big tank, soon, once they've made sure it has been properly conditioned for you, Iqball swang another thought. He could not afford to speak. Last time even if he was caught on camera talking to the fish, it may seem as if he was having a one-sided conversation. This time, not quite. 

Why? The fish asked further. Its body was moving a little erratically as it swam towards his corner at the side of Tank 6.

Ballqis had finally gathered enough courage to face the fish. She saw Iqball's face and saw that they were having a conversation telepathically.

"I told him that he's going to be moved into that big tank at the corner," Iqball whispered as he began mopping the area.

"It's my fault, I'm sorry," Ballqis quickly whispered to the fish, pretending to incite playtime using a hoop.

The fish jumped across the hoop dutifully.

Ballqis smiled. Maybe T7 isn't so mad at me, she thought.

I'm not mad, just sad that I'll be away from the fish next to me, the fish sighed. He sent the thought to both of them.

Iqball sent his mop into the store room and fetched a bag of pellets. He quickly fed the fish in Tank 6 and began to record the feeding behaviour report.

As he was within earshot, Ballqis whispered to the fish.

"Is that fish your mate? Is she interested in you?"

The fish shyed away at the bottom of his tank.

I like her, but she can't hear my thoughts from across the glass. I only speak to her when we both jump at the same time. Sometimes we do that, at night.

"Has she said anything to you?" Iqball whispered as he eye the innocent jumper in Tank 6. The fish was calmly feeding the soy pellets he threw in.

As he move quietly across the tank, he noted. She once said, 'Let's play.' That means she's friendly, right?

Ballqis and Iqball exchanged smiles.

"Dude, you're going to be fine. You're moving to a new home, and your neighbour will come with you," Iqball said.

The fish stopped swimming.

Is that true?

"Yes," Ballqis hissed as she tried to contain her own excitement.