25

The smell of burnt beef patty greeted the trio as they entered the professor quarters at the northern side of campus.

Unlike the students' minimalist apartments, the professors quarters looked just like upcycled container cabins. Each unit designed to offer a room, an office and a TV room. The units were facing a man made lake so Mrs Jogh had the bonfire burning very close to the water's edge.

Next to the bonfire bunch of lab folks are already on hand grilling, or attempting to, some patties.

Mrs Jogh greeted Agamemnon, Ballqis and Iqball then quickly pulled them towards a smaller grill, the kosher side of the fire, she quipped.

"Help me grill a couple of fish, while you're at it," she requested.

Already on the flaming hot iron were a line of salmon fillet while a few more packs of the same fish were placed nearby the bowl of lemon and seasoning, waiting to be cooked. Iqball and Ballqis surpressed their relief when they saw the orange meat.

Agamemnon accepted the bottle of olive oil while Iqball was handed a set tongs and cutleries. Ballqis had to follow Mrs Jogh to the middle of the party for some plates, potato salad and bottled drinks. When Micah saw her, he broke away from his gang to join the trio, bringing with him another student in tow.

"She's from Southern Thailand and she brought halal roo sausages!" he told them. At campus, anyone with extra food is everyone's friend. They welcomed her with offerings of salmon and bottled water.

The music was not loud enough to disturb the other professors within the vicinity. Yet many of the lab people were dancing.

Mrs Jogh played the ideal host, making sure everyone had some food, drink and company.

Then she went to the bonfire and whistled loudly.

"Thank you all for coming but most importantly, thank you for all the good work you've been doing for the fish. As most of you have heard, I'm raising your allowances starting next month!" she jumped straight to the big news.

Aga and Micah, along with a bunch of clueless others, whooped enthusiastically.

"But I need you all to see this. Hold on, let me just call Mr Evil so that he'll bring in the surprise," she said while typing furiously on her phone screen.

About two minutes later, a massive RV wheeled towards the lawn. The students and lab personnel cheered the moment Mr Evans came out from the driver's seat.

"Speak of the Evil," Mrs Jogh nudged Micah as she made her way towards the RV.

Mr Evans didn't look as excited. Mrs Jogh ignored the wet blanket.

"I made this purchase as we will soon set up a teams to do promotional activities from campus to multiple exhibitions across the country. We will be marketing our tilapias to commercial farmers by second quarter next year. We're gonna be rich!" Mrs Jogh exclaimed.

Her guests cheered and began to take turns to check out the tour bus-sized RV.

While waiting for their turn, Mrs Jogh approached Agamemnon.

"I heard from Evans you managed to improve your standing grade for his class, Aga. I shouldn't feel guilty for depriving you a few weekends that could have been used for studying, should I?" she checked.

Aga could only stare at the professor excitedly.

"So would you be part of my troupe for our next outing? We're heading to Sydney again, for a couple of nights, you in?" she invited.

Aga nodded. And nodded some more.

"Ah, The Balls were right, Evans. Aga would be delighted to join me. His silence exuded so much joy," Mrs Jogh joked before leaving the gang, all laughing.