Chapter Sixteen

Wilbur woke up cold. When he had first shown up a month ago and got the original tour, Wilbur had chosen the bed by the window. He thought that he'd be able to sneak out at night for fresh air or to stargaze. However, Wilbur had since discovered that the window didn't open wide enough for him to fit through; it only opened enough to fit his hand through.

With the onset of winter, Wilbur had also discovered that he needed a lot of blankets to stay anywhere near warm and was excited that he was only a little less than a week away from going home to his bed. And seeing Phil.

Wilbur got off of his bed and slipped quietly across the room to his stuff. Wilbur grabbed his guitar. He had only unpacked all of his stuff recently and put it in the closet, and he was going to need to repack it before going back home. Whoever had brought his stuff to his room for him had set it all in the corner in a neat pile and Wilbur had seen no reason to move it. The only reason he had was because Fundy told him to. Something about a clean living space.

On his way out, he remembered he should tell Fundy where he was going. He grabbed a notebook and scribbled a note to his sleeping roommate, ripped the page out, then tapped the note on the door for Fundy to find later. The note Wilbur wrote said that he was in the secret library.

Wilbur picked his guitar up and slung it over his shoulder, and started the walk to the painting of a landscape. It was his favourite painting in the castle, even before he knew that there was a secret passageway behind it. It was just beautiful.

He stood looking at it for a few minutes.

When Wilbur had finished staring at the landscape, he checked the hall to make sure that nobody was there. When he was very sure, he walked over to the painting and pulled on its elaborate gold painted frame, opening the door. Stepping in, he flicked on his torch before closing the painting again.

As Wilbur walked through the passageway, it was silent. And a little damp. This passageway was one of the longer ones, and it was like a maze. It went around several bends and had a few crossroads, too. Wilbur had got lost in them a few times, although he had thankfully always found his way out. Although Wilbur suspected he could get permanently lost in them if he wasn't careful.

Wilbur had made it through the maze-like halls. He stepped into the secret library. He was pretty sure that most of the Dream SMP members didn't know that all the paintings in the secret rooms had either a hall or a compartment behind them. Most just took the one that Tommy and Tubbo did.

It was empty, to Wilbur's relief.

He had an album that he had been working on for a while now, but he was nowhere near ready to perform it. That was partially because he wasn't happy with the quality of some of his songs and partially because of his confidence. Maybe someday, though. He started on a song; it was one that he was sure Phil would worry about when he heard it. Wilbur thought his dad would be even more concerned when he found out how old Wilbur was when he first wrote it.

First and foremost

Oh, let it be said, my dear

I was gonna wait for you

Wilbur was sitting on one of the stiffer chairs with only a few candles out to light the room.

So this is not an act of spite

It's a visceral coming-to