CHAPTER 18 ↠ returning to london

Start from the beginning

"It's cold and I drank too much last night... I just want to go back to camp and sleep a bit more."

Bonnie wasn't fully convinced but nodded and didn't ask more questions.

They both got inside the car and waited there for Aberama. When he finally came out, Bea rushed him to get on and drive.

Bea went inside a wagon when they got to camp and stayed there until evening. Then, she got out and went to eat but stayed silent. Bonnie could see something was wrong, but let her have her peace.

The next day, when she spent hours silent again, melancholic, Bonnie spoke up.

"Bea, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Everything is fine."

"Did something happen the other night?" Bonnie questions.

Bea looks at him and forces a smile before shaking her head, "No, Bonnie."

"Are you sure? Why aren't you going to Polly Gray's house? Is it because of Michael? Look, if you want to go to him you should talk with dad first."

"I don't want to go to New York, Bonnie," Bea admits, realizing for the first time that she actually doesn't want to go, not nearly as much as she thought she wanted.

"Perhaps you should," he affirms, surprising her. "You're not happy here at the camp, you're not happy in London... Go to New York! See Michael, see how things are there and if you don't like it there, come back."

"Bonnie..." she sighs.

"I know dad said he wouldn't let you go, but that doesn't really matter does it? You have to do what's best for you. Whether that's Birmingham or London or even New York."

"I like it here. With you and dad... and the Peaky Blinders."

"Then why do you look so unhappy? What happened the other night?"

Bea ponders on what to say to Bonnie, but doesn't get a chance to answer him as Aberama calls out to her.

"Beatrice!"

"What?" she asks over her shoulder, looking at Aberama arriving by horse.

Aberama dismounts the horse and walks towards her.

"I have been thinking and I think the best for you, right now, is to go back to your aunt's house."

"What? No! Aberama!" Bea whines. "I can't go! I ran away. I didn't even say goodbye."

"Exactly why. You go back and, if after a few weeks you're not happy, then you can return. And you won't run away, you'll tell your aunt that you are staying with me permanently and you can bring everything of yours this time."

"Dad..." Bea pleads.

Aberama held her hands and made her stand up.

"Just go for a little while, and make sure you're not giving up on a future you cannot have if you stay with us here, all right?"