Chapter 7

"So... on who's side is your cabin for this evening's game?" Nico asked, trying to start small talk. It was a sunny morning –as if it could be any different in Camp Half-Blood–, and Will was sorting some supplies that had arrived into their designated places.

"Ares, I think. I'm not sure though." The blonde replied, not turning to look at him as he placed a tissue box in one of the cabinets. "I don't usually play capture the flag."

Nico scowled. What now? He suddenly didn't feel as exited to play.

"Why not?" He tossed a strawberry on his mouth, waiting for an answer.

"Because I literally suck at everything that implies fighting." He shot a small embarrassed smile in the other boy's direction over his shoulder. Nico was astonished.

"What?" Aren't you good at everything? "You suck at fighting?" Nico had to laugh at that.

"Hey, no need to be mean." Will's features shifted into a playful scowl as he went over the box with supplies to continue putting them on their place. "But yes, fighting is not one of my talents... Not as it is for you."

"I'm not good at fighting." Nico disagreed,  his scowl deepening. "I'm not really good at anything..."

Will turned to him this time. All the muscles of his face seemed relaxed, an annoyed look shooting for his eyes.

"You," He said slowly, "Nico di Angelo, who defeated king Minos, walked through Tartarus alone, is capable of summoning a legion of dead warriors... are not 'really good' at anything?" He made air quotes as he said those two words, then raised an eyebrow at him. "Please."

"You make it sound like a great deal." Nico mumbled, looking away.

"Well, maybe because it is kind of a big deal... I don't understand why you don't just admit it."

"Admit what?" Nico almost snapped. He was starting to get annoyed of Will's fake kindness.

"That you are freaking awesome." Nico noticed the hesitation at the word 'freaking'. If he didn't know Will, he'd have thought he had been about to say a cuss word instead. He must've angered him. "And brave, smart, gentle..." He gave his head a small shake. The next words came out a little less harshly. "It makes me mad you see yourself poorly..."

Nico didn't know what to say at that. Did Will really believe he was all that? The thought made his stomach twist.

Thankfully, Will had turned his back to him when he looked back up.

"I didn't mean to make you mad..." He said in a quiet voice, taking a small bite from the pancakes.

Will sighed, his back still turned. When he turned to look at him, his frown softened.

"I'm not mad..." He spoke at last, not meeting the other boy's eyes. "I just... I wish you saw yourself the same way I see you..." Before Nico could wonder what on earth did that mean, Will cleared his throat. "I'll... bring the new bandages for your hand." And was out of sight again.

Nico blinked. Will's voice played in his mind all over again.  I wish you saw yourself the same way I see you. What was that about? Did he mean something like "treat others like you would like to be treated" but the other way around? Or did he mean...

"Alright..." Will interrupted his train of thought as he came back. He was holding a new package of bangles and some clinical tape. He put Nico's tray away and sat next to him. He opened the package, and opened his palm. "Your hand, please."

Nico held his hand out for him, and he started removing the old bandages. He threw them to the trash bin, and brushed his thumb over the back of the other's hand. Nico suppressed a smile; even though he knew it was just to check on the pain, he still liked it when he did stuff like that.

He studied him carefully. He pressed the same points he had touched the day before, looking for a reaction to the pain. Nico didn't flinch.

"Well, it seems you're healing pretty fast..." Will observed. "I'll just put another bandage, just to prevent anything happens, and you'll be fine to go."

Nico nodded his head. Will bandaged his hand again, just as carefully as he had removed the former ones, and patted his hand. "We're done..." He announced. "You can go back to your cabin now."

Nico smiled. "Thank you."

"No problem." Will grinned back, getting up to leave him space.

"For everything –I mean." Nico added, standing up as well. Will tilted his head. Nico couldn't tell if his expression was amused or confused.

"You're welcome." Will smiled at him. They stared into other's eyes for a second. Then Will reached out to tuck a lock of Nico's black hair behind his ear, which made it really hard for him to keep his thoughts straight. "I'm going to miss you around here."

Nico frowned. "Really?" The other nodded. "Why?"

"Because you're Nico." He answered simply, shrugging, and whirled around to resume his supplies sorting work.