CHAPTER 11 ↠ to dying together

Start from the beginning

"And you're a Peaky Blinder, Bonnie," Bea points out.

"I know," he says with a nod. "Don't worry about me, worry about yourself."

"I should get a gun."

"No way," Bonnie interferes straight away.

"I should."

"You stay out of trouble and don't need one."

Bea looks up again and shows him a half smile at how they were now bickering. Bonnie stands up and goes to sit next to her, putting an arm around her.

"Five years away from you Bonnie. Don't make it the rest of my life the same."

"Don't worry about that."

"I'll die with you," she insists.

"You won't."

"I will. I really will."

"Okay then," Bonnie sighs, knowing well enough that Bea doesn't back away from her words easily and there was no need to insist more.

Bonnie raised his glass and Bea did the same, hitting her glass on his.

"To dying together," Bonnie says as if it's something meaningless.

To Bea it meant a lot.

That night, Bea didn't sleep much and early in the next morning, she went to the Shelby Home. Polly was the one that opened the door.

"Hello," Bea greets. "I'm really sorry for your loss."

"Thank you. Come on in, it's cold out."

"How is Linda? She and Arthur have a little baby, don't they?"

"I expect she's barely coping, but she has her child to think off."

"And everyone else? It must be really hard... John didn't pass away that long ago either..."

"Yes... It feels like one by one they're dying. And now we have legitimate business, but we still find a way to get killed."

The door then opens, and Tommy gets it. Bea, yet again, gives him her condolences.

"Good that you're here. Is Aberama coming over?"

"He said he would like to pass by and give you his condolences, yes."

"Good, good."

Soon, when Aberama arrived, Bea found out that it was good he was coming over because Aberama was to go and get Polly's son from where he was.

Bea didn't go on the ride with Aberama and Bonnie. Instead she went to Artillery Square, to Finn's house. When he didn't open the door, she decided to look for him at The Garrison, that was now closed.

Sure enough, she found him there with Isaiah.

"Hey," she says softly as she gets nearer them. "I'm really sorry for your brother.

"Thanks," Finn says in the most monotone she had ever heard him.

Noticing the empty rum bottle in the table, she goes and gets another, filling up the boys' empty glasses.

"I'm really sorry," Bea repeats as she sits next to Finn. "I can't even begin to imagine how bad you must feel right now."

There was silence for a little bit and Bea understood that maybe right now Finn wouldn't want to be around many people and that Isaiah was enough. Everyone grieved differently, some wanted people around and some wanted to be alone. So if Finn was one of the latter she knew it was best to leave him, but decided to ask him something before going.

"It was your first time blinding someone, wasn't it?"

Finn looks at her, with slightly guilty and shame that she knew, and then nods, confirming.

Bea was sorry that he had to do it, but the man had killed Arthur, and 'Peaky Blinder' isn't just a fun nickname a group of friends had, it's what they do. Finn was bound to fall into the typical work of the Peaky Blinders.

"Perhaps you boys should try and sleep a bit..." Bea suggests after several minutes in silence. "I'll help in anything that you need, all right?" she offers caressing Finn's shoulder.

Finn nods slightly, thankful, and then Bea stands up and leaves The Garrison.