I hit Eli’s head, “Take him inside before he actually wakes up and screams.”

Eli pouted and glared at me while he took slow steps towards the house.

“Young love,” Mr.Nocella said.

I looked at him, “Mr.Nocella. Are you teasing me?”

Mr.Nocella shrugged before he walked behind Eli. The air outside was warm, but my body only felt hot.

I hate to admit it.

Eli looks good holding a child.

I halted my steps when the two males in front of me did. The silence in the air was beyond discomfort.

“Hey!” Eli said. “Who are you?” I forgot that Eli isn’t well-acquitted with Maeve.

Now, who will make the next move?

Would it be Mr.Nocella? Would he introduce Eli and Maeve to each other? Then, how will he explain why Maeve is inside his house?

Or would Maeve introduce herself? Would she use her real name or a proxy name? How would she climb out of the hole she dug?

I leaned against the house wall. Observation may be the best option for me.

Eli looked around, from Maeve to Mr.Nocella, then towards me. He could feel the tension between everyone. Steadily, the discomfort got the best of him, and he bounced in his shoes with Zach still in his arms. He looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Elijah Wood,” Mr.Nocella said. “This is Maeve Remington. She is a fellow student at your school.”

“Oh?” Eli nodded, “Well, it’s nice to meet you,” he said slowly.

Maeve nodded, “Same.” Quickly, she made her escape. When she passed me, she stopped and gave me a spiteful glare.

When Maeve disappeared, Eli asked: “Where do you want me to put the kiddo, Mr.Nocella?”

Mr.Nocella looked away from the spot where Maeve left, and with his timely manner, his eyes happened to meet with mine. I don’t know what he’s thinking, but frankly, it’s best not to know.

“Mr.Nocella?” Eli called for him again.

“I’m sorry. What?”

“The kiddo? Where do you want me to put him?”

“Oh. Yes. Right this way.” Mr.Nocella walked into the house and showed Eli Zach’s bedroom. Once they laid Miles and Zach down, Mr.Nocella offered some juice for us.

We declined it.

I can tell he has a lot on his mind, and the drink offering was simply common courtesy.

Eli left the house while I stayed inside and waited for my payment. Mr.Nocella came downstairs with the white envelope. He ran his fingers across the top before he gave it to me. I grabbed it and checked it. Previously, I suggested that he pay me digitally, but Mr.Nocella stated that he is a dinosaur when it comes to technology. “I’ll see you next weekend.”

“Miss Makee,” he called for me before I had the chance to walk out the door. “About what you saw.”

I chuckled, “Don’t worry. I’m not blind. I can tell what happened.”

He shook his head, “Whatever you’re thinking, that’s not what happened.”

“So, you’re telling me. Maeve did not drive all the way here and pushed herself into your house. When you asked her to leave, she refused. Then, with awfully amazing timing, I happened to see everything.”