Part 7

I woke up laying on the mattress that was on the floor next to Maya. The boys left later after the 'news' and Maya and me stayed up watching horror movies all night. Once or twice we both would scream because of the movie and, I feel bad, because Marcus would always get up and run to Maya's room to check up on us with a gun in his hand. It wasn't once or twice, it was more like 20 times per movie, and at the end, Marcus stayed in our room until we had fallen asleep, so he could sleep peacefully. Even then, I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming because of a memory, and that caused Marcus to cuddle with me in the night.

I found my way to the kitchen, as I greeted everyone once I got there. "How mas your night nieta(granddaughter)?"

"Estuvo bien (it was good) abuela!" I stared at Marcus as my face clearly had 'don't tell' as he rolled his eyes and nodded. "¿Qué te gustaría comer? (what would you like to eat?)"

"Can I please have a Spanish omelette?" I replied. She nodded at me, and asked the cook to make me some. "By the way Abuela, why did my mother call me 'Tricky' when my real name is Sofia?"

Everybody stopped eating and looked at me. Abuela sighed and answered back, "do you want to know the whole story?" I nodded and she continued, "and you promise me, that when I tell you, you will not get up and leave this house, or blame any of us..." I looked at her suspiciously, and nodded again, "then I have no choice but to tell you...

"You see nieta (granddaughter), when you were 1, your mother came back to see us with you, I was furious at that time with her, because she left this house and married someone I did not see fit for her. When she came, she was happy and showed everyone her daughter, which made me even more furious. Your grandfather tried to calm me, but my anger had reached the top, and I didn't calm down. When I came down to see her, my eyes fell on you, and at that, I felt blessed. All of my anger disappeared, and I was ready to welcome you and your father into my house!" She stopped after that. "Abuela," I asked softly, "what happened next?" She looked at me with tears in her eyes, "after what happened was my fault too, and I'm sorry! 2 years went by, and we were all gathered here for your birthday, until some fancy cars came by and started shooting at us. Luckily, we had experienced guerrilla and were abled to fight them off, but in the fight, we lost your uncle." She sighed, as I turned to look at Marcus and Diego, they didn't look surprised at all, it looked like they knew what happened.

"After some digging, it turned out that you father had a lot of power in his hand... he was the king of all ruffian gangs." I was shocked. My father, helpless, relying on his daughter, was 'king of all ruffians!' I scoffed, "please, don't tell me that the helpless guy that I left back home, was the 'king of all ruffian'" I paused, slowly realizing, "but that would explain my engagement with Jake Gracia."

She looked down as she continued with the story, "I asked your mother if she knew and she did, out of anger, I said my problems out loud to my friend, well at that time, and I asked her if she could help. I didn't know what she was planning, but she did deal with it, in a very horrible matter... she killed your mother years after that, I believe when you were about to graduate from your university. I will never forgive myself for that, I didn't mean to, I really didn't, I was asking her for advice, not for her to go kill my daughter." Tears spilled from her eyes as I sat next to her to comfort her, but she continued, "Your father and I had a horrible fight, and he told me that he will make sure that you don't ever get to know your past, and called you 'Tricky' instead of your real name. He also told me, that your mother, before she died, agreed to never let you know where I was because she was afraid that someone else might kill you!"

"I'm...a... terrible mother and grandmother!" She said between her sobs, "I'm sorry, I truly am!"

I smiled weakly at her, "it isn't your fault, I know you didn't mean to, you were only relying on a friend, and that friend turned out to be evil, that isn't your fault!" She smiled up at me, "thank you!"