14. More assassination attempts on my life

Почніть із самого початку

I had no idea I was holding my mum in the hallway for but a voice snapped me back into reality, although it was a voice I had no intention of hearing. 

'Hey, Sally!' Gabe yelled from the living room. 'That meat loaf done yet or what?'

I swear to the gods, I was so close to stabbing him in the crotch. So close.

I watched as my mum closed her eyes and sighed. 'He isn't going to be happy to see you, Percy.'

'Yeah, I know,' I said through gritted teeth. 'I'm not entirely happy to see him either.'

'Percy, please.' my mother pleaded.

I sighed. 'Okay, mum. I'll try, okay?'

'That's all I'm asking for, honey.'

We walked into my mum's apartment and I couldn't help but cringe at the mess my supposed stepfather made. Beer cans were everywhere. The lampshades were turned into laundry baskets and last but definitely not least, the smell. 

The smell was almost as bad as Ladon's breath.

Gabe was playing poker with three of his buddies in the living room, which surprised nobody. As soon as I entered the living room with my mum, Gabe's cigarette dropped out of his now open mouth as he stared at me in both shock and anger.

'You got nerve coming here, you little punk,' Gabe said as his face turned redder and redder with anger. 'I thought the police-'

'He's not a fugitive after all,' my mum interrupted him. 'Isn't that wonderful, Gabe?'

Gabe looked ready to blow up.

'Bad enough I had to give back your life insurance money, Sally,' he grumbled in annoyance. 'Get me the phone. I'll call the cops.'

'Gabe, no!' my mother protested.

'Did you just say no?' he raised a dangerous eyebrow. 'You think I'm gonna put up with this punk again? I can still press charges against him for ruining my Camaro.'

'But-' my mum tried but flinched at the sight of Gabe's raised hand.

I watched all of this with clenched fists and gritted teeth. I found my hand subconsciously slide into my pocket looking for Riptide but I stopped myself. Celestial Bronze couldn't hurt mortals and Gabe was essentially the worst kind of mortals.

I definitely had more colourful words to describe him. Especially after I had found out he had been hitting my mum.

'Mum,' I managed to say through my gritted teeth. 'Let's have a talk in my room.'

She looked at me with pleading eyes but I met her gaze with one of assurance as I tilted my head towards my room door. Reluctantly, she followed me.

'Yeah, that's right,' Gabe snarled as he returned to his poker game. 'You better be gone in five minutes punk. Or I'm calling the cops.'

I had to tell myself not to turn around and punch him right in his tobacco-stained teeth. He was proving it to be harder and harder every second. Trying my very best to ignore him, I dragged my mum to my room, albeit gently.

'Mum.' I said as I looked her in the eyes pointedly.

She sighed in both desperation and hopelessness, something I hadn't picked up last time. 'Gabe is upset, honey. I'll talk to him later. I'm sure it will work out.'

Even as she said it, I could see the doubt in her eyes.

'Mum, you know it will never work out with him here,' I said as my anger diminishes to a reasonable level.