"Damn right, now leave me alone" I turn away from him but hear no sound of movement. "Have you gone?" I ask aloud but hear a chuckle in response.

     "I can't leave without anything" he tells me so I bend down and grab a small rock from the ground.

     "Here, take this and go" I hand it to him and wait for him to move but he just stands there.

     "I meant with you. I can't leave here without you" I meet his blue eyes with fury.

     "You have got to be kidding."

     "I think we established the kidding part but I am serious with this." He juggles the rock.

My earlier thoughts about him come to haunt me. He really could be an imposter, those wings are probably technology he made himself to make the deception look real and I'm not buying it.

     "Prove it" I firmly demand.

     "Prove what?"

     "Prove to me that you are who you say you are. A Guardian"

     "You saw my wings when I landed?"

     "Yeah but you could have made them yourself" I snap back. "It's possible. People are mad for the Guardians and do anything" I've read articles that had people creating their own armour and wing suits exactly like the Guardians. I'm all for imagination but there has to be a line.

     "And do you admire them too?" Maylock asks, placing his hands on his hips and puffs his chest out in pride and confidence. Arrogance...

     "I don't wish to be saved by them no" I shake my head.

     "Well, that's a shame" he's really irritating me now.

     "It's nothing to be shamed for" I frown. I can handle things myself. "So, just leave me alone" yet he still doesn't move.

     "I already told you. I can't leave without you" he reiterates calmly.

     "I didn't sign up for a supposed Guardian to bother me today and I especially don't want you to continue being near me" he laughs at me again. "Why do you keep laughing at me?"

"You're funny" he smiles. "Your curiosity amuses me"

     "Curiosity? I think you will find its perception of someone that isn't who they say they are" his smile widens. "because quite frankly you're obnoxious, arrogant and I cannot believe your audacity to ask those questions about me."

His parent question still bites at me because it brought back unwanted memories and thoughts of my current reality.

     "I don't know you but you clearly seem to want to know about me which is odd, but just because you presumably fly around with your little wings on your back and presumably protect Lakeintown, that doesn't give me a reason to tell you anything" I flap my hands to act as wings to emphasise my point even further. "Oh and you have another thing coming if you think for a second I will be leaving here with you. Just give me back my damn bag and go"

     "That was quite a speech Layla uh Taylor" he mocks me while smirking but I look away and head back into my shack, yet on cue, his footsteps trail behind me. Why does he keep on following me?

     "Are you incapable of leaving me alone?" I stop when I reach the doorway.

     "Well, don't you want your damn bag?" he responds and I turn to face him quickly.

He's finally taken the bag off his back and is holding one of the straps so it dangles just in front of him. The pens, pencils and my precious photograph are held within. All my life in one bag. He's smirking and his hair is in the way of his eyes until he runs his hand through it to comb it back. It still bounces out with a vengeance but it's not in the way of his sight which is now locked on me.

     "Give it" I try to grab the strap but he pulls away at the exact time I attempt to snatch it.

     "Now now, that's not very polite" he backs off from me and shakes his head slowly while tutting.

     "I am in no mood for jokes and you have no right to be withholding that from me"

     "I have a mission to achieve" he stands firm and puts his arms through the straps of my bag right in front of me.

     "Yeah, a mission to continually annoy and pester a person who just wants to get on with their day"

     "With swords, drawings and going into Lakeintown when there is danger? Sounds like a riveting and fulfilling day" he rolls his eyes. Every word of his stabs and stings. "My mission is you, Layla. Just come with me"

I am no one's mission.

     "Give me my bag" I demand and it's a stand-off.

Our gazes are ice cold towards each other but my heart is thumping to thaw me. Heated blood races round my body making me alert and ready to grab my bag when the opportunity rises. I'm studying his every move, investigating where best to launch a surprise attempt at getting my bag back. Maylock holds himself well, his stance is equally balanced so there is no way I could make him unsteady. His arms are long and his rounded shoulders hide a strength I couldn't match. This is a tough one.

     "I can be here all day" he crosses his arms and taps his foot.

     "Please don't" I quip and he chuckles but its cut short when his gaze wonders onto something behind me.

His cold eyes have warmed from the sight my punching bag.