Chapter 18 : Into the Deadlands

Start from the beginning

Sakura nods, taking the advice to heart. She and Ursa may not have the perfect comradity, but they trust each other when it comes down to it. 

Naruto smiles at the dark clad kunoichi. "Don't worry, Ursa-chan, I'll keep Sakura-chan and Sasuke safe," he boasted with a confident grin. 

Ursa chuckled, nodding. "I'm sure you will, Naruto, I'm counting on it," she smiles, raising a bro-fist toward him. 

Naruto bumps it. "Believe it!"   

Sasuke huffs, looking away. "Hn, we can handle ourselves. Besides why should we trust you, after all you're on a different team. Which means you're our enemy too," he states, turning again to narrow his eyes at the Konoishi girl. 

Ursa huffs, rolling her eyes. "Whatever, do as you please, I'm not your boss. But, enemy or not, I'll always look after this team. You guys are the closest thing I have to family, so take the advice... or don't." 

With that, she steps away from them and turns her body to walk away. Raising her right hand, she waves them away. "Good luck on the second exams. See you all later," she smiles at them before walking away, disappearing around a corner. 

Ursa frowns, her mind swirling with rocollections of the upcoming exam, be careful you guys. I'm sorry that I can't be with you to protect you

- _ - _ - _ - _ - _ -

STARING AT THE dense forest, Ursa feels a chill crawl up her spine when she spots a giant bug climb up a tree. Shuddering, she looks away and turns to her fill-in teammates. She gives them a nod in greeting. 

"Ready for the next exam, shortcake," Hisato smirks, teasing her shorter height as he throws an arm around her shoulders. 

The black clad kunoichi jabs him in the stomach with her elbow, huffing as she steps away from his grasp. "My height is appropiate for my age, and yeah, I'm ready." 

"Good, we don't have time for second thoughts or doubts, they'll only slow us down and distract us," Tadashi says, crossing his arms. "And in this test, I assume every minute is essential by the looks of it."

Ursa nods, her memories swirling. The Forest of Death is full of threats. The competing genin, the wildlife, the long days and short nights, and not to mention the mere fact of surviving.

They watch as Anko turns to them, and the rest of the genin, a malicious smile on her face.

"Welcome to the location for the second exam! Training grounds forty-four, also known as the Forest of Death!" Anko exclaims, grinning dangerously.

The thick silence is broken when a bunch of birds fly, cawing as their wings flapping loudly.

"This place is creepy," Ursa hears Sakura comment.

She's not wrong, the girl concurs.

"Hah! You'll find out soon why it's called the forest of death," Anko smirks.

The tension is sliced when Naruto speaks up. Ursa chuckles when she sees her knuckleheaded teammate drop to a closed legged squat, placing his hands on his hips.

"'You'll find out soon why it's called the forest of death.' You think that scares me! That's nothing! I'm not afraid," Naruto yells, pointing a defying finger at the proctor.

The violet haired woman chuckles. "Yeah, you're spirited," she says, though her amused smile changes when she suddenly throws a kunai at Naruto. 

The kunai moves fast, grazing the Uzumaki's left cheek before slicing through the grass ninja's hair, and finally embedding itself in the ground. Ursa notices everything as her lilac eyes follow the weapon, though that's before she settles her narrowed gaze on the grass ninja. She's already aware that the grass shinobi is Orochimaru undercover. Which means that this second exam is just his playground to get what he wants.