CHAPTER 3 CHANGED BEHAVIOUR

"Which music instrument do you want to learn to play if you are given a chance to learn?" Nikita had asked him.

"Guitar," he had answered.

"Cool, I want to learn piano. Do you want to accompany me?" she had asked enthusiastically.

"I don't know," he had replied.

"Pretty please, I want you to attend the classes with me," she had begged.

"OK," he had consented.

They had spent most of their time together after Aanya and Chirag had gotten married.

He had been getting more attached to Nikita as the days passed by up until the day his sister had been kidnapped.

His sister's disappearance had brought home the most important fact to his mind that he should not get attached to anyone.

His parents had died and then his sister had disappeared. All his loved ones were being snatched away one by one.

He had to stop himself from loving anyone else or that person would be the next to disappear and he would not be able to do anything to save that person even if he wanted to.

As the days had passed with no news of his sister, he had hardened his heart against everything and everyone, readying his heart for the news of his sister's demise.

By some miracle from God his sister had been rescued alive but she had become a changed version of Aanya.

His sister had become another person who did not even recognize him.

He had cried and begged God to change his sister to her earlier self and at last his sister had started recognizing him again.

He had vowed to himself on the day his sister had spoken again that she would be the last person he would care for and love in the world.

He was unable to endure the agony of losing his loved one again for a third time. He had closed off his heart and started distancing himself from Nikita and the other Singh family members.

His sister had given birth to twins extending his love circle to three people. He had been unable to stop himself from caring and loving his niece and nephew. But that was the extent of people whom he cared about, his sister and her children.

He respected his brother-in-law but losing him would not be as devastating as losing his sister or the twins. He would die if any of the three were harmed.

He had joined a sports college to distance himself from Nikita but she had followed him there too.

He had tried to avoid her but to no avail, she had been like his tail following him wherever he went.

She followed him to his classes; she followed him during his practice sessions and she followed him to his dorms.

His roommates and classmates had started teasing him. He tried his utmost to make Nikita stay away but she was relentless in her pursue.

She never complained when he treated her coldly and didn't mind his brush offs.

He found a way to make her leave him alone at last. He started going out with girls.

He dated all the girls who asked him out. He went out to party with them, he went to movie theatre, he went to restaurants and all the places where they wanted to.

His plan worked and Nikita stopped approaching him. She saw him with a horde of girls and left him alone.

His selection in the national team made it even easier to distance himself from Nikita. He was sure that he had made her give up on him at last.

This plan worked until the Singh family decided to go on the world tour.

He had again found himself in close quarters to Nikita and had found venues where he could hide from her but he had not been able to hide on the day she had confessed her love to him.

He had known that she was attracted to him but she had stated quite confidently that she loved him.

He had tried to pass by her as he had been unable to formulate an answer but she had been obstinate and asked him to answer her.

He had known at that moment that saying anything would not make her give up on him so he had rejected her in the cruelest and most hideous way imaginable.

He had termed her love for him as lust and mocked her feelings for him.

He had been cringing inside as he had uttered the most repugnant words in his whole existence.

She had slapped him and the expression on her face would haunt him till the day he died.

She had looked broken and devastated. She had looked like someone had died; maybe her heart had died that day.

He had murdered her heart and love for him so brutally that he had started regretting his words the second he had uttered them.

He had wanted to apologise to her and waited for her arrival in college. He had tried to contact her as days passed by with no news from her.

He had resorted to ask for help from his sister at last when every other avenue failed.

"I thought you two were best friends. Didn't she tell you she was leaving to study overseas?" Aanya had asked stunned.

"No she did not tell me anything, nor will she be speaking to me again in the future," he had confessed to Aanya the whole debacle from the cruise and had been warned by Aanya not to approach Nikita again if he was unable to reciprocate her feelings.

The reason for his dating had left to study overseas so he had stopped going out with girls. It was not right to use them to mend his bruised heart.

He avoided all the girls that approached him and his teammates and the national media found that hilarious so he was pinned with the name Monk.

He had invested all his energy and drive in his games and became the captain for his team within a few months of joining the national cricket team.

He had been overseas several times during the period she was staying there and often gone to look at her from afar.

Nikita had looked happy albeit a little subdued than before. She had made new friends but she had not been close to anyone as close as she had been to him.

He had wanted her to move on, get over her love for him. At the same time he had been jealous of any male who approached her.

He need not had bothered for she kept her emotional distance from everyone. He had made her the female version of himself.

She was living life without any zeal, spending days without enjoying anything, just passing the days without any real feelings.

She had become just as he had been when he had met her for the first time. He had killed the carefree, fun loving Nikita.